Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bi-fold door width calculation

Posted by kevin1900 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 15, 10 at 21:39

I would like some help in determining the width of doors to be custom ordered.

Background: I am restoring and renovating a farmhouse from 1904. In the upstairs bedroom, one end is partitioned off to make a closet. This was done in the 1950's, I believe. The opening is 60 inches. It is a simple, square drywall arch without jambs. The current closure is via bypass sliding doors.

I wish to finish the archway with jambs and casing, and order bifold doors. The door style is 5-panel solid doors; the equivalent bifold would be 3-panel due to the narrowness.

After I install the jambs the opening will be approximiately 3/4 inch narrower. At that point when I have a measurement for the opening width, what is the rule to determine the width of the four individual doors? I'm looking for guidance such as "take the width, subtract X for the end clearance, Y for the center clearance and divide by four", or something similar.

Thanks !

PS We are already aware that bifold doors are not period correct. Thanks anyway.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bi-fold door width calculation

If the doors will be custom sized, trim the opening, measure the exact clear width of the opening and give it to the door fabricator/supplier.

o

You need to size the doors based on the hardware you end up buying.

Chose they type of hardward and click on "click here for details" to see how to size the doors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Johnson Bifold Hardware

o

The Johnson link does the trick. Thanks !!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here