Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandywine72

Stucco patch color match

Brandywine72
10 years ago

We had a new door way put into our kitchen. The exterior wall is stucco. Today a plasterer put the new stucco on around the doorway. When he did so the color of the wet stucco looked great with the color of the old stucco. But as it dried it got so light it looks TERRIBLE. The old stucco is tan and this new stucco looks chalk white next to it.

Tomorrow is his last day of work here. I called him at home and asked what he could do tomorrow to get a better color match. He said nothing. He said that it would look better over time. That stucco gets lighter as it dries and then it gets darker. I don't doubt that it will get dirtier over the course of years but it still is not going to match the stucco that is surrounding it. So here are my questions:

1. Does rematching the color mean chipping off his stucco work and doing it all over again with a different amount of dye in the stucco mix? If so, I suspect that this is why he is saying it is not possible. Who wants to do that much work?

2. How do plasterers go about matching the color of stucco from a patch to the old color? How exact does it get? Is there a science to it?

He said it is just a drop of this and a drop of that. If that is the case I don't see why he cannot remix it and apply another layer with a few more drops to darken it. He said if he does that it will look grey or black instead of tan.

I'm very new to this and need some insights on how to deal with this terrible stucco job!

Comment (1)