Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
load bearing beam in kitchen soffit

Posted by aefplv (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 20:48

Hi,
I am in the process of renovating my kitchen.
When removing the soffit I discovered a load bearing beam (=two 2x10 attached together spanning the length of two rooms). There is an attic above the kitchen and the joists are sitting directly on the beam. Also, the angled studs(on which the roof boards and shingles are attached) are joining the joists right above the beam. Basically there is no room to move the beam above the joists.
Is there any way to move that beam somewhere else? Is it possible to *just* link the joists together instead of having the beam?
I really don't know what can be done or not...but want to get rid of that ugly beam.
Suggestions?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: load bearing beam in kitchen soffit

Insufficient information.

o

What additional info would you need?

o

You'll need to show the elements you have described;

" I discovered a load bearing beam (=two 2x10 attached together spanning the length of two rooms)."

"the joists are sitting directly on the beam."

"Also, the angled studs(on which the roof boards and shingles are attached) are joining the joists right above the beam."

o

You can slice the joists and run a laminate beam in the attic, between them, connecting the joists to the lam beam with joist hangers rather than resting on the current beam. It's delicate surgery, in that you have to make sure you're supporting the joists on either side while you remove the beam and install the new one. But it's something we did DIY a few years ago.

Have the beam company engineer it for you (free).

Below is a link to my post asking for help with our endeavor, including a reference to a great article in Fine Homebuilding that was very helpful.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Installing a flush lam beam

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here