Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ynnej_gw

kitchen plans- do these go together

ynnej
12 years ago

Kozmus Granite

Similar-colored cabinets (I have a feeling some of you will say these are too dark but I hate light colored wood- it could work, right?

{{!gwi}}

Mocha Wall paint

Plantation shutters+ crown molding

{{!gwi}}

Ceramic tile floor

{{!gwi}}

Medusa backsplash

Well, that last one was a joke *sort of*. I have kids and it might freak them out :)

Comments (7)

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

YES to the backsplash! It's a good opportunity to teach your kids the classic stories from mythology. Yes on the black cabinets, but in small doses. The wood stained cabinets are too red and a shade too dark. Barely too dark, but definitely too red. They need more of a yellow tone to work with that granite and should be slightly lighter in tone. No to the wall paint. Leave that until the very last, as you can match any color you want with paint. But I think the mocha is just too nothing and blah and doesn't work with either the cabinets or the granite. I don't care for the shutters or the tile. Do the shutters in a matching wood to the cabinets. The tile is again too red instead of gold or more neutral. A mocha travertine or something that resembles it would work, but you've got to put it on a sheet of white paper and get rid of the ones that have the red/pink undertones.

• ynnej
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Live wire, what paint color would you suggest, then? I am actually refreshed to hear you say yes to the backsplash- I thought for sure that no one would like it but me. My mother certainly does not!

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

I'd leave the paint until the last decision, but I'm thinking something like a caramel yellow, or a brick red. Or both. Kitchens don't have much actual wall space, and using a punchy paint can really make them come alive. And you don't have to commit to a whole wall of it!

And while I LOVE the backsplash, I recognize that not everyone would, so unless you are planning to stay in this home 10+ years, I'd do the backsplash in a regular type of tile, and then mount the Medusa onto cement board surrounded by some pretty liner as the "frame" and then hang it behind the range. If you ever need to "de-personalize" then you take her down and patch replace the tiles with the hanger in them and you've got the instant boring resale look. Or if mom is coming over, you take her down and replace her with some sort of iron scrollwork hung there instead. You get the best of both worlds.

• ynnej
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good advice!

• annzgw
    12 years ago

I agree to wait on paint and the tile appears too pinkish.

You need to take a cabinet door with you when selecting the granite since on my monitor the cabinet color works with the granite. I know it's nearly impossible to do so, but try to view the granite on a horizontal plane. It can take on a totally different look, especially when compared to your cabinetry color.

• ynnej
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So glad i found this forum! I definitely see what you are both saying about the tile being too pink and waiting on the paint. I've nixed the Medusa backsplash after seeing my Mother-In-Laws' expression of horror today. But I do think the plantation shutters and crown molding would help to brighten it all up. Anyone agree? Or have other suggestions?

• annzgw
    12 years ago

Well, I have to agree with your MIL and DM's response to the Medusa. Don't think I could face that every morning when getting my cup of coffee! :)

I like the idea of the shutters and crown molding and can see them done in white. I've got nothing against doing them the same wood as the cabinets but you should do what you're drawn to. Natural lighting, decor style and room size should also play a part in your decision.

You should try posting in the Home Decor Forum since they often discuss selection of paint, tile, etc.