Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shed platform question

Posted by armo (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 5, 10 at 19:43

I'm building a 6X10 wooden shed in a 9x11 area beside my house. There is a chain link fence on the south & west sides and my house on the east side of this area. I had sod which I have removed. I decided to make a box out of 4x4's & fill it up with 3/4 crush (gravel)& then build the shed on top of that. My main concern is with this box I'm building. The 4x4's will be running along both parts of the chainlink fence & right along the foundation of my house. My questions are:
1. should I still keep a slight grade so that water will flow away from house?
2. How much should the grade be?
3. Will it not make the frame I'm building to put the shed on look crooked and therefore my shed as well?
4. My biggest concern is that once I fill up this 4x4 box with the rock/gravel, the ground will be 4" higher in the box compared to the ground directly under the 4x4 beside the house. When it rains, will it go between the foundation & the 4x4 & cause future problems? Anybody have some good suggestions?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shed platform question

A shed squished in that type of area, with the potential for run off, settling and such issues would be best placed on a deck supported by piers.

Just buy some sonotube, dig your holes and fill with cement.
Add brackets, run joists and deck it over with 2x6 lumber. Now build the shed.

No real ground disturbance, the shed can be as close or as far from the ground as you want and if it ever needs to go away, its way easier to remove than tons of gravel.

o
RE: Shed platform question

Your municipality will have certain setback requirements as well as building code requirements. It most likely cannot be built so close to the property line or your house. You should check with your codes enforcement before being forced to tear down work you've begun. And, I agree with the need for a proper foundation. What you describe isn't a proper foundation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here