Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Renovate custom built in bookshelf to hold a tv?

Posted by watersg (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 18:49

Hi All!
I have a custom builtin bookshelf, along a whole wall in my office. It's a pretty nice grade. Currently, the middle section has glass doors on top, and two bookcases to each side of the middle part.

I would like to take the doors off the upper middle part, and basically carve that section out to hold a tv.

Anyone see this done anywhere? I've searched the net and haven't found one yet. All help/advice appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Renovate custom built in bookshelf to hold a tv?

Wood finish or painted? Moveable shelves or fixed? Is the proposed space big enough to hold the preferred TV?

Is it not just removing the doors and shelves? And patching screw holes/hinge mortices?

The difficulty is in how the thing was constructed, there is no way of knowing that without seeing the builtin.

o

Newer TVs are relatively wide compared to height, while older cabinets often are more vertically oriented. If its wide enough to hold the TV you should be able to use it, but the max screen size might be smaller than you prefer.

You also need to get the AC power and cable connection to the TV, and you may want to wire it into a separate sound system. Is there a reasonable way to get the wiring installed without changing the cabinet too much?

In general, today's AV systems create a maze of wires to work with, and its nice if you can hide them. If you can run the wiring into the base cabinet and then drill a hole to run wire up from there to the center cabinet and the TV that may be a good choice.

Bruce

o

Thanks for the replies! it's stained, not painted. What hinders me from just popping the TV in is that there's a middle section to allow the two 'columns' of shelves to be adjustable. I could probably saw it out but was wondering if anyone had done an effort like this before.

I think i can wire it exactly as you describe Bruce.

o

Would it look bad to put the TV on an adjustable arm attached to the rear of the unit and have the TV in front of the shelves? You're getting a flat one, right? :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here