Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swampmonster

Framing dilemma

SwampMonster
9 years ago

Hello all,

I am renovating/finishing a house addition that lay half complete for the past 25 years. I am exchanging the windows as the existing ones have taken a beating in this south facing exposure. I am having a dilemma regarding the existing framing and whether to leave it as is, seeing as it has so far stood the test of time unscathed, or to bring it more in line with current code.

This is my own home, so I'd like to make the most lasting choice, but I don't want to make more of a mountain out of this job than need be.

The wall currently consists of 2x4 framing with 2 windows and a door in a load bearing wall. The two windows share a single header, made of two 2x4s on their side. The door has its own header of the same material. These have all remained fully functional throughout this time, I see no sagging in the headers and the top cripples don't appear to be carrying much if any weight (they seem to have little lateral resistance if I tap them with a hammer suggesting to me they are not supporting anything).

Above ve the windows and doors there is a top plate of two 2x4s and above that two 2x8s as a band joist from which the floor joists are hung.

First off, am I making something of nothing and should I leave it as is? Or should I pop out and exchange for a more substantial header? See picture for more details.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

It doesn't appear to meet modern code for framing. If you're going to have it inspected, you'll have to change it. If it's stood for 25 years without sagging, it's obviously strong enough.

• roof35
    9 years ago

It reminds me of balloon framing, except you have a double plate breaking up the continuous run of the studs. If the smaller studs (cripple) are over the existing studs, I wouldn't worry about it. Just think of the windows being taller all the way up to the double 2x8's, that is your header only continuous instead of having jack & king studs.

I would be concerned about that wire on the outside of the studs. Is it electric?

• SwampMonster
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your input.

Roof35, that's not a wire, it's the inner portion of a z drip cap coming through the seam in the sheathing.

Thinking of it as balloon framing helps to see how the structural loads are distributed.

No, it will not be permitted, (does not need to be here unless I do reframe the wall) and likely wasn't at the start years ago. This started as what was supposed to be simply changing out the windows, and slapping insulation and wallboard up, but has turned out to be a more involved project at numerous stages.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Did nobody notice the doubled band carrying the joists via joist hangers? The doubled band IS the header, in this case. Headers are not always where we expect them to be.
    So you are probably good to go.
    Casey

This post was edited by sombreuil_mongrel on Sun, Sep 14, 14 at 10:20

• jackfre
    9 years ago

Once you pull the windows you could reach up inside with a sawz-all and cut the nails holding the sheathing to the 2x4 header, which will not pass. You can then remove the 2x4's. Cut the top studs to fit a 4x6 and re-nail it. It is not that hard to do. I just did it on about a dozen of our windows. Only two more to go. Easy peasy!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"Did nobody notice the doubled band carrying the joists via joist hangers? The doubled band IS the header, in this case."

Yes, I did notice, but that band joist is the header for the 2nd floor, not the 1st. When you interrupt the transference of load from roof to foundation with a window or door cut-out, you have to transfer that load to the sides of the opening with a header.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

The size of the header is determined by the span of the joists, the loading on the joists and the width of the window openings and we don't seem to have any of that information.

If the band joist above is large enough it would serve as a header if some studs were added to take the load from the top plate to the floor below on each side of both window openings.

• roof35
    9 years ago

Casey: " Did nobody notice the doubled band carrying the joists via joist hangers?"

Actually, it is virtually impossible to tell those 2x8's are doubled in the picture. The OP mentioned they were doubled in the original post.

If you read the responses, you could see they were addressed.

This post was edited by Roof35 on Sun, Sep 14, 14 at 19:53

• renovator8
    9 years ago

It's probably fine but I would add some studs.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

I could see immediately that it was doubled; I have the eye of a framer still. I just have low reading comprehension of late. :)
    Casey

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

"If you're going to have it inspected, you'll have to change it."

Not necessarily so. If the addition was previously inspected, and passed, it's grandfathered in.

Besides if it's stood for 25 yrs, with sagging - there is no problem - it's been tested.