Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ct_newbie

Help with Mudroom design and cubby dimensions

CT_Newbie
10 years ago

Hi! I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the Home Decor section:

We are creating a mudroom area in a space that has a lot of angles and varying ceiling heights which can not be changed. I've attached a copy of the layout with notes of the ceiling drops and a copy of the cubby dimensions so far. How can I best optimize this space and design? Specific questions include:

1. I want to make the cubes at the top of the cubbies flush with the wall. Should the shelves at the bottom also be flush with the wall? The bench part will jut out about 1.5" but will not extend beyond the main door when the door is opened 90 degrees.

2. Originally, I had hoped I would get 90" and have six 15" spaces but we fell short and only got 86". Therefore, for the cubbies and bottom shelves, I've only divided them into 3 spaces instead of 6 since I felt that would maximize usage and not look too small. The bottom middle section is for taller boots. Do you agree with this segmentation? If not, how would you divide it up differently. We have me and my husband and three year old twins. My learning disabled brother stays once a week and a few days a week we have a sitter, mother in law or someone else visiting during the day (so figured they could just put their stuff in the tight cubby space furthest away.

3. Where should the bead board go besides behind the section that has the hooks? I was thinking that the boxes on top and cubbies below would be encased with 1/2 thick poplar wood, not the bead board. Should the sides of this section be wall, bead board, or the poplar? I'm painting the whole thing Superwhite.

4. Should the cubbies at the top have a shelf that divides the 35"? I was thinking the kids backpacks would go there

5. I extended the bench to the end, figuring someone could sit there if needed. I thought that was better than having dead space and since the closet is wider than one "space", it would still be a partial issue for hook #5 even if I removed the section for hook #6

6. What should we do with the other alcove opposite the "bench"/cubbies? I was thinking another row of hooks might be too crowded and could make the room look messy. If we put a mirror there, what size should it be and how should it be hung? Would you do a combo mirror/hook and if so how? Should I add a shelf the depth of that little wall? I thought we could also put an umbrella holder on the floor there

7. Should the bead board extend to any other part of the room besides the cubby? I thought no as the room is already a jumble of angles. DH was thinking of putting it in the alcove. If so, what dimensions would you recommend.

8. I was thinking of putting a long rectangular picture on the back wall facing you right when you walk in (to the right of the closet). What do you think?

9. We are putting molding up to match the rest of house. I am assuming therefore, no molding on the cubbies to try to keep the space as clean as possible

10. More of a comment than a question - in case you didn't notice, there are differing ceiling heights in the space. Most of it is 9', however in the space where I am building in the cubbies, there is an 18" drop from the ceiling. In the other alcove on the other side is a 26" drop

I purposely put in the closet because I need a space for the broom/swiffer and access on the other side. I know it would have looked nicer to have the closet go across the whole back wall and to open from the mudroom but it would be a pain to get to the broom/swiffer and I'm afraid people just wouldn't sweep.

Sorry for the crude drawings. I didn't have time to figure out space planning software. Feel free to ask me questions. Thanks so much!

Comments (4)