Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bsspewer

Help in cutting quartz

bsspewer
12 years ago

I have two large pieces of left over quartz countertop. I'm wanting to use a portion of one piece to cut a windowsill for the window above my kitchen sink.

I've never cut quartz or granite. I have an angle grinder, and it looks like I can pick up a diamond blade and polishing discs from ebay or craigslist. But I'm worried about the slab cracking. Anyone have advice?

OR, if anyone is in the SF bay area and would be willing to do it for me, let me know your price. Most places are asking $150 just to cut it, which is overpriced in my opinion.

Comments (14)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

To get a straight cut you need a wet saw or a water jet. It's no good to polish a wavy edge.
    Casey

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"And then they never end up using it because it's too freaking heavy."

It also takes the edges of knives very quickly.

• bsspewer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hmmm..

Thanks GreenDesigns, if that's all true, then I guess I might have to go back to the place I originally bought the quartz at.

Does it matter that I'm only cutting three sides out, and all these sides will be concealed by the window & frame? There will be a very small portion of visible cut on the front (the stool), but if I polish it up will the 'burned area' still be visible?

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

You would be able to leave the hidden edges in a less finished state.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

a very small portion of visible cut on the front CAN be polished by you to your satisfaction. There will be no 'burned area' if you cut with water in the cut, more than for cutting anything else. A 'burned area' can be polished. It is not ruined. If straight cut. Water is needed all the time, more than for anything else. No big deal. Just good to know.

• bsspewer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks David.

Right now my plan is to buy the cutting wheel & polishing discs (I see prices ranging from $60-80 for the set) and test my cutting ability on a small section of left over countertop. I'll just set it up and turn the hose on while I cut slowly.

If I'm satisfied, I'll tape up my cuts on my larger slab and cut out my windowsill. I'll try to post photos and stuff I learn along the way for anyone who might stumble upon this post wanting to do the same thing I'm doing..

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

It's going to be hard for you to get a decently straight cut with your grinder if you aren't experienced with it. $150.00 would be money well spent if they are reputable and experienced as well. I take it that estimate came from the original supllier of the quartz?

You could also consider using a diamond blade in a strong circular saw with a straight edge set up, but again, for $150.00, I'd leave it to a pro!

• advertguy2
    12 years ago

" I'll just set it up and turn the hose on while I cut slowly."

Make sure you're plugged into a GFI outlet... Also, water maydamage the grinder depending on how much flow etc...

My suggestion is that you get a pro to do it.

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

You've just described a recipe for your spouse to collect on your insurance policy.

Get a pro to do it.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

I have a wet saw worth $1000. I have a diamond blade in it. I wouldn't want to do any work on "quartz" with a puny tool and I think that is what this means: "... buy the cutting wheel & polishing discs ..." Find a pro. Call the countertop company and tell them you will pay them, and you will drop it off and pick it up. Give them a few weeks. Pay them. I got the quartz counter company to cut 3/4" by 3/4" strips for me. (Actually it was 2cm by 2cm). No point doing that myself. I am a cheapskate and I paid them for the materials the cuts and the polishing.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

bsspewer in your OP you wrote you have an angle grinder.
    This is no good for polishing.

• bill_g_web
    12 years ago

You can rent a wet saw and if you're a Berkeley resident or have a friend who is:

http://www.berkeleypubliclibrary.org/about_the_library/neighborhood_branches/tool_lending_library/

• dstunkel
    5 years ago
    I see this is years back but did you ever attempt this yourself or did you end up paying for a pro to get this done? I thought about doing this same thing but based on the comments it seems like it’s not as easy I would have expected. Thanks.