Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roof / Garage Door / Shutters

Posted by lovestotravel (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 16:32

All,

Daughter is in process of purchasing this house :) It definitely needs a roof immediately (not yet leaking thank goodness) and garage door since current one is old and also broken. Would appreciate color suggestions for roof & shutters, as well as garage door style, to give her a variety of options for viewing!! These are major decisions for a first home, as well as expenditures... Although siding needs a good cleaning, it looks to be a keeper for a while. Thanks in advance and please let me know if I have posted in the wrong forum!! Shar

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roof / Garage Door / Shutters

There are paint programs available for free online. Sherwin Williams has one. Upload a photo and try a bunch of combinations.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sherwin Williams Paint Visualizer

o

I'd start with a dark valued roof, using an "architectural" grade shingle (has greater thickness and surface depth than a standard shingle).

Thereafter, I'd unify and match the door and window trim colors. I'd also consider repainting all of the siding so that the overall house appearance is unified and harmonous, rather than the changeout of just a few items such as shutters and garage door.

A color scheme I like with warm brick is a grey-green siding with muted red window frames and door frames. Front door could match or be a harmonious accent color, ie, yellow, sienna, etc. Garage door replacement could have a strip of rectangular windows at the top panel of the door, or simply be a solid door. Garage doors are so large that they tend to visually dominate the house elevation where they are located, so the best bet is to paint them a dark valued hue that recedes and does not call attention to itself. In the color scheme suggested above, it could be a neutral grey or dark green. Using a computer-based color selector, suggested above, is a good idea. Good luck!

o

I just posted this pic from houzz.com for another person....a nice combo you might reverse by painting the trim and shutters in the greige tones.

o

If it were me, I love the combo of white brick and a dark taupe color on the siding. Then black shutters and a black roof (or dark gray).

o

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful ideas! I don't know if painting the siding is in the time or money budget for this year yet, funny how things add up :) Will definitely use a visualizer since I am weak in that area haha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here