Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Closet Help

Posted by queenskitchen (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 7, 11 at 16:14

My master bedroom in a house i recently purchased has 2 bedroom closets (approx 44") with a closet facing another bedroom in between (also ~44"). these closets are aroudn 30" deep. I am planning to combine all 3 into one long (11') closet. I am thinking of doing a 1 ft wall on each side with a 1 ' wall in the middle, which would leave 2- 4' openings. Is that going to work? I was also thinking about using 2' double french doors for each opening.

The next step will be to have a closet designed. Any good competitors to california closets in the NYC (Queens) area? I dont want anything too fancy. A couple of sets of double bars, shoe box shelves, and a wider shelf for 2 stacks of sweaters (maybe drawers instead of shelves).
Anything else i should consider?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Closet Help

Do you really want to take the closet from the other bedroom? In doing so, the room is no longer a bedroom and it could affect the resale value of your home.

Can you connect the middle closet with one of the end closets, then open the 3rd closet to the 2nd BR?

o
RE: Closet Help

I forgot to mention that I am going to build an additional closet into the bedroom that is losing one (likley 28-30" deep and 48" long). this is an old house so the closets are not sized anywhere near todays standards. I thought of combining the two and turning the other one around but i wouldn't gain any space for a few thousand of effort.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here