Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaze0

Fridge Fit Dilemma

kaze0
9 years ago

I recently hired a contractor for a complete kitchen renovation. Everything down to the studs and then all new cabinets, appliances, flooring, etc...
It's nearing the end and we just had the appliances installed. Everything went well except for the fridge. I saw them having trouble getting it in, but it eventually it went into the section devoted to it.
The problem is that it's now jammed in there. I can't even slide a piece of paper between the fridge and the cabinet. I can't move it, With two people, I've tried hooking rope around the bottom wheels and pulling it out to no avail. It moved about a half inch, but it seems firmly stuck in there. Even if I could get it out on my own, this isn't a process I want to go through every time I need to clean under there. It also seems like putting it back has the potential to damage the cabinets, fridge, and backsplash, since it doesn't really fit and something has to give.
The contractor was less than helpful when he came back the other day and I explained the problem, and only offered to come and move it out whenever I need it moved. Which isn't really acceptable and just seems like a brush off.
Any thoughts on how to resolve this? I was thinking about suggesting that they shave the sides of the cabinets down, but how bad would that look?
Am I being unreasonable? They had the dimensions from day 1. We even had the fridge before we had the cabinets.

There's a picture of a single sheet of paper barely going in 1/4 before being stuck, exact same thing on the other side too.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

kaze0:

Send your contractor a copy of your refrigerator's manufacturer installation instructions. He has an obligation to provide you with an opening that meets those instructions. He has not done so and has therefore not fulfilled his contract. Plus, he is no longer arguing with you, he is arguing with the manufacturer.

He is reluctant to change this because it can be incredibly difficult at this stage.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Several things of interest.
    While your cabinets have face frames, the refrigerator cabinet appears as a euro style, w/o a face frame, which would have afforded the opening to be widened.

Is there the recommended head clearance, which insures air circulation.

Has he assured you of his services to move the appliance, in perpetuity, and are you reassured of that commitment.

"it can be incredibly difficult at this stage."

Was the cost mentioned?

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Even the pup is disappointed in the install!

• kaze0
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

Here's some more pictures. You can see that on both sides of the fridge that have a panel. On one side is the granite countertops, on the other side is a pantry with a tiny bit of filler. And the piece of paper won't slide in on either side.
    http://imgur.com/a/kLnrI#1

The clearance above it is ok. At the design stage we were told that if we went with a taller cabinet above it, they didn't know if it would fit, so we opted to take the less risky route and go with the shorter cabinet above. Nobody ever mentioned that the width could be a problem too.

They haven't mentioned any cost to get this fixed although he did mention half a days work.

I am not reassured by any offers of moving it as needed. I just can't imagine that working out in the long run. If there's ever a leak, I have to turn off the water to the entire house until they can get 2 people to move it. If I need warranty support they have to have 2 people come out to move it, then move it back after it's done and I'll have a giant fridge cutting the kitchen off during that time. What happens if they damage the fridge during this process.

Thanks guys

Here is a link that might be useful: more images

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

While the design is clean and uncluttered, having a 3" smaller pantry would have achieved the same result and allowed for, not only the condition you are now facing, but also, the potential of a future replacement, to have been addressed.

Usually, appliance service is a single person, but it is probably quicker to shut the water off at the main.

Who would think this is acceptable?

I'd have them cure this.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

The solution of "I'll come help you move it whenever you need" is laughable. He has no intention of ever following through, and figures you'd get tired of waiting for him and give up.

They definitely need to fix this. They might be able to shave a smidgen off the face frames of the adjoining cabinets, as the frames usually extend beyond the sides of the boxes. But the likely fix is probably to replace one of the cabinets with something a bit narrower.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

There is a 3" filler strip on the pantry side? I think I'd make them take that out. Probably means you'll need a filler above the fridge, for the over-the-fridge cabinet.

In any case, they have to fix it.

• worthy
    9 years ago

I'm a builder and my cure-all is the "holdback". I hope you haven't paid the total bill. This is definitely fixable. If they had the dimensions, it's their responsibility. In one house, the kitchen company did the measurements while the house was in the framing stage, as is usual and built the cabinets failing to account for the drywall. The very skilled installer was a couple of days adjusting everything to fit. It's not up to you to figure out the method.

This post was edited by worthy on Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 21:00

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"Probably means you'll need a filler above the fridge, for the over-the-fridge cabinet."

True, any adjustment to the sides will likely necessitate an adjutment to the cabinet above as well.

""I'll come help you move it whenever you need"

Lame!

My refrigerator specs required space around the sides as well as at the top. This was accomplished with a face frame around the fridge enclosure so that the fridge looks neatly enclosed, but there is still space above and on each side.

Good luck. I hope this can be sorted out without too much trouble or resistance from your contractor.

Off topic, but your dog matches your kitchen so well that I didn't even notice him/her until Errant pointed it out.

• jaynees
    9 years ago

Call him once a week to come move the fridge out so you can clean under it.

He did offer, after all.

And then once he realizes he's going to get a weekly call, maybe he'll actually FIX IT, which he should have done the first time you mentioned it to him!!!

• momfromthenorth
    9 years ago

That looks like a Samsung frig. In which case, there are "brakes" on the front that you need to release in order to pull it out. Look at your owners manual. When ours was installed, the guys showed me how to release those "brakes" in case I wanted to pull it out to vacuum/clean the floor under the frig.

And yes, it's much too tight in there.