Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aramaram

Bathroom layout and skylight question (3D image)

aramaram
9 years ago

I am remodeling my bathroom and deciding where to put a skylight. Some ideas are: 1. a long skylight running left to right along the center of the space; 2. a long one running along the bottom wall (the wall with bathtub); 3. one above the vanity; 4. one above the bathtub.

The rafters run left to right.

I'd like to get some recommendations from people with more knowledge. Also, what are the things to consider and where is the best location for someone using the mirror?

Any inputs you may have on the layout are also appreciated.

Thank you for reading.

Comments (6)

• worthy
    9 years ago

You can do most anything, depending on your budget.

But limiting the size or placement of the skylight to the direction or spacing of the ceiling joists and/or roof rafters is too restrictive in my view.

You should consider the intent of the skylight. Especially in that you already have a window in the room. Is it for more light? Or to create an illusion of more space? Or a mixture of both?

• aramaram
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your reply. The primary intent of the skylight is to provide more natural light, especially in the vanity area. The illusion of more space is certainly a nice benefit as well.

I am curious whether it is best to place the skylight above the vanity to provide better lighting there or perhaps it is better if the skylight is closer to the middle to avoid direct overhead light when a person is by the mirror.

This post was edited by Lumine on Mon, Sep 29, 14 at 20:19

• sheloveslayouts
    9 years ago

I've been researching the best location for vanity lights, but I suspect the same principal applies for windows/skylights.

Basically, what I found is 1) it's best to have light flanking the vanity mirror; lighting from the side of the face is most flattering 2) overhead light is the worst, but if you must have overhead light, direct it into the mirror so it reflects toward the users face.

That said, for best natural light for your vanity in this bathroom, I'd locate the vanity where the tub is and take advantage of the natural light at the window since light at the side of one's face is best. I'll also mention, a window is cheaper, you'd avoid problems that can happen with a roof penetration and you can control the light level easier.

You could put the toilet across from shower, under the window; The vanity next to it; the tub where the vanity is and switch the door swing. However, this might force you to shrink your shower, though.

Also, my personal opinion is that any vanity less than five feet shouldn't have more than one sink; how likely is it that two people are going to be brushing teeth at the same time?

• aramaram
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all very much for the help. I am glad that I came here and I think it may help me avoid making some regrettable decisions.

I am going to probably go with a single basin vanity (although this one was 5 feet, I realize it might still be too tight).

I am also now questioning the wisdom of putting in a skylight.

I am attaching a diagram with dimensions of the bathroom as well as a less distorted 3D image.

I am grateful for all of your input and shared thoughts.

• aramaram
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all very much for the help. I am glad that I came here and I think it may help me avoid making some regrettable decisions.

I am going to probably go with a single basin vanity (although this one was 5 feet, I realize it might still be too tight).

I am also now questioning the wisdom of putting in a skylight.

I am attaching a diagram with dimensions of the bathroom as well as a less distorted 3D image.

I am grateful for all of your input and shared thoughts.

{{!gwi}}

• sheloveslayouts
    9 years ago

Can you post what the existing layout looks like so we know what you're working with?

Is the separate tub and shower the reason for the renovation? Are these must haves?

I saw your overall floor plan on kitchens and was wondering... where is your washer and dryer going to go? I ask here because in our renovation we ended up putting it in the bathroom; it's very challenging to find a good spot for laundry in these little houses.