Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
drop-in tub framing

Posted by armo (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 11, 09 at 15:05

I've noticed drop-in tubs being installed either in an alcove using a flange or on an island with the tile being slid under the lip of the tub.

My question is this. Can it be installed any other way? Can the framing be taken near the top of the tub so that the tile around the tub is almost flush with the top of the tub? Would silicon between the tub and tile be enough to protect from any moisture or water seeping down?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: drop-in tub framing

Yes, you can set the tub on the framing and then tile up to the tub rim. It's perfectly acceptable construction method. The reason I don't do it that way is that then the cut edge of the tile is showing, so you've got to be really good with your cuts. I'd rather have my cuts tucked under the lip of the tub. :-)

o
RE: drop-in tub framing

Ditto what weedy said. I helped DS/DIL tile a tub that was already in place. It took some tedious cuts and careful grouting to get a finish I was happy with between the tile and tub.
I tried caulk and it just didn't give the smooth look I was after.....plus, we couldn't find it in the right color.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here