Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spray foam insulation and furring strips for drywall?

Posted by thisoldbungalow (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 30, 10 at 14:31

My husband and I recently bought a 1920s bungalow with a finished attic. Since it was a cook box in the summer, we tore down the drywall in order to pull out the deteriorated Kimsul insulation and get the whole roof and exterior walls insulated with open-cell spray foam.

Over the 2x6 rafters (24" o.c.), previous owners had nailed furring strips to which the drywall was fastened. We are planning to have the spaces between the rafters filled with 5.5" of foam and attach new drywall to the existing furring strips. This would leave about a 3/4" gap between the surface of the foam and the drywall.

In my research on the web, I've come across occasional comments about the risk of moisture condensation and mold in this airspace between the drywall and the insulation. Our insulation contractor, however, says he has never heard of this problem. I haven't been able to find any official information about it either, all I've found are forum comments.

Does anybody have any information if there is indeed an issue with having a gap between the insulation and the drywall? My husband thinks the furring strips might actually be beneficial, because they would minimize contact and thus heat transmission through the rafters to the drywall. It seems like since both the gap and the drywall are in a conditioned space, there should not be an issue, but the comments I have come across make me wonder. The possibility of mold is obviously something we would like to rule out. (We live in a climate with hot, humid summers and relatively cold winters.)

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spray foam insulation and furring strips for drywall?

Unless you have some further insulation over top of the o.c. foam, I'd say there is the possibility of condensation because R 19.8 is about half the minimum R Value you need in an attic in your climate. I assume you're north of the Mason-Dixon Line.

o
RE: Spray foam insulation and furring strips for drywall?

I should add it has nothing to do with the gap, but the fact that the bottom of the o.c. foam may be a condensing surface in the winter. When the warm air of the conditioned space touches the foam, water could condense out. On the plus side, the foam should be little affected and much of the water vapour will pass through and, hopefully, be vented out through adequate roof vents.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here