Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindymoore

Need some help with area near front entry

LMP Designs
9 years ago

Long time reader, first time poster. You have all given some awesome suggestions so I'm turning to you! I have an area just off the front door that measures 10'x10', where our old kitchen in our 1960's Cali ranch home used to be. The area has been used for storage, but we want to make it pretty. You can see in the background we've recently added paneling. I would like to carry that theme into this space, thinking maybe a built-in bench under window, some columns towards the kitchen? Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks! Also, the cabinets will be removed!

Comments (15)

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

What do you want to do in the area? How do you plan to use the space? It could make a nice little study or sitting room. Is it next to the kitchen? Could it become a breakfast nook?

• PRO
    LMP Designs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The cabinets on the right will be removed and I'm thinking about a built in bench. I'm thinking about the area where the pantry is might be opened up to the living room on the other side. This area is a thoroughfare to get to the kitchen, just in the foreground of the photo so it needs to be kept open. Struggling with a purpose for this space, so now I'm just trying to make it look nice.

• sheloveslayouts
    9 years ago

Over on the kitchens forum I'm seen a few references to people putting small sitting areas actually IN their kitchens. Since you have space for it, I think it sounds awesome. Two cozy chairs, a small table for drinks, and low bookshelves under the window for maybe a library feel?

• PRO
    LMP Designs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That sounds great! I actually just purchased two smallish restoration hardware leather club chairs (that I couldn't resist!) might work well under the window...better than a built-in bench that DH already offered to build?

• PRO
    LMP Designs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That sounds great! I actually just purchased two smallish restoration hardware leather club chairs (that I couldn't resist!) might work well under the window...better than a built-in bench that DH already offered to build? What do you think about a pendant light in the window? I have the 15" harmon pendants in kitchen above island, thought about a smaller one in the window.

• sheloveslayouts
    9 years ago

Oh! Those sound perfect!

I would save your money on pendants and electrician labor and just go with table lamps on whatever piece of furniture goes under the window (bookshelves? a pretty buffet?) and use a (plug-in) wall sconce or two next to your club chairs.

Lamp light is so much cozier for this type of room, in my opinion.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

I'd not put anything built in in there unless and until you know what you'll use the space for. A small sitting area, with chairs (not a built in bench) seems like a good direction to go.

• PRO
    LMP Designs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the input. I think I'll remove the cabinets, set the chairs in the space and hopefully I "feel it". Next dilemma - the window is much higher than any table height that would be appropriate for the chairs...you still think a short table and table lamp?

• sheloveslayouts
    9 years ago

What are you planning for the wall opposite the window? I was thinking you'd put your club chairs on that wall, maybe with some art or photos. It would be a welcoming view from the front door and you'd be able to look out the window from your chairs. Bookshelves or a piece of furniture under the window.

Chairs under the window would be nice too. Chairs opposite the window was just the image in my minds eye.

• PRO
    LMP Designs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm thinking the wall opposite the window will be opened up to the living room. Just to the right of the solid wall can be opened up 4' to get through to the living room. Sorry about my lack of photo abilility!

• PRO
    LMP Designs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

....but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by ojailady on Wed, Oct 1, 14 at 9:42

• PRO
    LMP Designs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a photo of the chair (I have a pair) and the cat (of which I also have a pair,) that I would like to use in the space.

• PRO
    LMP Designs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Right side up!

• sheloveslayouts
    9 years ago

Those are great chairs. They were meant to be.

Have you thought about your sight lines from the front door through that wall if it's removed? Do you want folks seeing that far into your house from the front stoop? Is there a TV in the room behind that wall and would it be nice to have a cozy, quieter room near the kitchen?

• PRO
    LMP Designs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, the room behind the wall is the family/living room. My thought was to bring light in, the back of the house faces due east and the front (this room in question) faces west, so we get great afternoon light. Another thought I had was to open up the wall but only an opening the size of a window, then shutter it like all the other "windows" I think that might be the best of both worlds - allow light to flow through the house OR close the shutter if we want more privacy from the front door. What do think about that?