Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Change closet opening from hallway to bedroom?

Posted by katcando23 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 10, 10 at 12:51

Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum as far as posting, but have been a lurker for many years. :) *waves*

My issue is this. I bought a foreclosure townhouse and have done most of the work myself. I have two hall closets upstairs - one is used for linens and the other for ???. The second closet is directly on the other side of the master bedroom and the extra closet space in the master would be ideal.

Is it possible to just cut a door on the bedroom side and sheet-rock up the hallway side as such "flipping" the closet? There is an electrical outlet on the bedroom side, but I could just move that which would allow me to plug things in that area.

What about the studs and such on the bedroom side that are not on the hallway side? Is this job more suited for a GC versus an advanced-intermediate do-it-yourselfer?

Thanks in advance. :)

Kat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Change closet opening from hallway to bedroom?

I'd say if you don't feel comfortable with it, don't attempt it.
But I'd do it (and am about to do something similar in my house...)
Are you comfortable with moving the electrical?
I would go about it like this:
First, determine whether the wall on the bedroom side is load-bearing. If it isn't no problem. Look in a basic home-improvement book they have in the bog-box stores for basic steps-by-step instructions on how to frame a wall and install a pre-hung door. With basic skills and decent power tolls, both those things are pretty easy. If the wall is load-bearing, you're going to have to figure out how to properly support the loads, with a built-up header, etc.
Don't forget there will be some finicky finish work patching in the hole where the old door was, adding in baseboard, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here