Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
radioactivedesign

Glass sheet instead of tile

happyanca
12 years ago

Hi there. Does anyone know if I can adhere sheets of glass to the wall instead of using tile?

I was thinking that it would be nice to paint the back of a sheet of glass with a pattern or a flat color and then just stick it to the wall, like tile. I'd like to do this in the bathrooms. Would this work?

I was thinking that it would be cheaper than tile. I could paint whatever i wanted on the back. AND there would be almost no grout lines.

My sister-in-law is using floor to ceiling height Corian slab but it's too expensive for us.

What do you guys think?

-- Anca

Comments (9)

• davidro1
    12 years ago

in the kitchen forum you will read of people doing this for kitchen backsplashes. Mindstorm is one who has this.

Tempered glass in a kitchen.

• happyanca
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Davidrol. I tried to find the link but haven't managed yet. I will keep looking.

However, I thought that solid sheets of glass used in the kitchen are not glued on usually. It was my impression that they were held in place via metal attachments somehow rather than attached with thinset or epoxy, which is what I would need for a bathroom shower.

• worthy
    12 years ago

This commercial glass backsplash fabricator uses silicone adhesive.

• happyanca
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! I emailed them, so let's see... -- Anca

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

It would also need to be tempered glass in a bath for safety reasons. Which needs a pro to fabricate and install. I don't think it really would be all that inexpensive. Shower surrounds, which also have to be constructed out of safety glass, run 2-3K, and you're talking doing all the walls which is even more material. I think it'd be a heck of a lot more than glass tiles which you can get for as little as $4 a square foot. Try around 6K plus. Corian would seem like a bargain next to that.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

Wall-installed (installed with any adhesive in any way) does not need to be tempered glass, (not by law or by code).
    = This is FYI, not anything more than FYI, not a recommendation to do something or not. It explains why glass tiles can be bought and sold. They make glass tiles very large now.

If you want to go buy a big piece of cheap glass and "glue" it, go ahead and let us know how it goes and what it looks like. With or without art under the glass. Make sure the art will still look good when moldy. That kind of art.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

d-1 makes a great point. Whatever is used behind it is going to have to keep moisture from building up behind it or as stated...moldy art!

• happyanca
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Haahaa. Moldy art. I can come up with something, I'm sure. :)

Yeah, that's why I thought epoxy or thinset. it has to cover the WHOLE surface of the glass, just like you'd do with tile, otherwise I'll be showering in some kinda petri dish,

• davidro1
    12 years ago

If you build it as you would build a window, it won't get moldy on the other side. If you seal it onto a wall, it will get moldy on the "dry" side. A window can have art in it. It can be frosted glass.

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions