Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lgp1234

how best to align window trim on two windows misaligned

lgp1234
11 years ago

we had our GC punch out a second window adjacent to an existing window in our kitchen

the older window was a "retrofit" (window put into existing frame) and the new window is "new construction"- thus they do not align.

I think the trim mismatch is obvious and I think we should add a thin moulding to the top of one to align it. I know this is a bandaid, but at least the top of trim to ceiling is same height. I know it's not a moulding practice, but simplest- would it look odd?

Other option(s)

1- cut down trim around entire new window to align at top- issue is that trim isn't as decorative and will be thinner all around then that is a mismatch

2- replace trim on old window to be bigger to match. however, window shares trim with sliding door so we would need to replace all trim for both- costly and I think overkill

I knew this would be the case with the two methods of construction and we didn't have a choice- it looks okay from outside because it was possible to align the trim. I didn't realize it would be so obvious:-(

What do you think? We need to decide in the next few hours!! (I'll post a picture soon)

Comments (2)