Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulyg_gw

Kitchen Reno: Add insulation or not?

paulyg
13 years ago

I am going to be starting my kitchen reno in a week. One nagging question is whether to add insulation to the exterior walls while we have them open. The exterior walls are made of cinderblock. House was built around 1940. Currently there are 1x strips attached to the cinderblock and the drywall is attached to that, leaving only 3/4" gap between drywall and block. Because of this I am building a stud wall (out of 2x3) to house our electrical (I am rearranging things and adding electrical where there is none) and plumbing.

My big concern with adding insulation is preventing mold & rot inside the wall. I have read and understand that if I add batts into the stud cavities that I would get condensation between the insulation and cinderblock. Not good.

The way to go seems to be attach foam board (like XPS) directly to the wall. The potential problems there would be:

1. I have to remove the strips that are probably nailed to the cinderblock. How hard will this be?

2. The cinderblock face is very uneven. What I read recommends gluing the XPS to the brick or concrete to reduce/eliminate air gaps between the two. I know I can't eliminate all the gaps. I have read recommendations to use "Tuck Tape" at the top and bottom of the XPS.

I should also add that the wall cavity is vented to our unfinished basement the builders left a small gap between the subfloor and brick. Dunno if this was to allow for expansion, just to make sure wood doesn't touch brick, or to actually allow the walls to breathe. But that's the way it is.

Thanks in advance. I'm finding it hard to find good advice on the internet because of the age and somewhat unique to our home.

Comments (4)