Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
espresso_gw

Rerouting ceiling joist possible?

espresso
12 years ago

Hello!

I find myself in dire straits regarding the installation of a wall chimney hood in my new kitchen. The "install" was started, and holes were cut into the siding of the house and the kitchen ceiling to install the 10" duct. While doing so, the installer mentioned that there is a joist in the way of running the duct where it should be running. The joist runs alongside the wall, but about 5-6" in front of it, which prevents the duct to enter the kitchen right down the wall, where it should be. The installer's solution was to add two angular modules, curving the duct back towards the wall. Nothing else has been done beyond this. The winter is approaching, and I would like to get this mess done in some creative fashion. Cost, at this point is almost secondary.

I tried the custom duct cover approach, but found nobody willing to help. I also called Viking for help, without success. Plan B would be to open up the ceiling from "behind" that wall, which is easier, it's the mudroom area. My thought, or dream would be to reroute the joist so that the duct can enter the kitchen at the appropriate location. I am not a carpenter, nor a structural engineer, but I do know that there are very skilled folks on this site, and I would be more than grateful to get some feedback to start with.

Yes, I know...the installer should have given me a heads up prior to cutting. But what's done is done, and I need to get it fixed. I have been upset for long enough, and just get blank stares at this point. I think they took on more than they could handle, and it is a very reputable HVAC/Plumbing company otherwise, in my experience. Their solution was to have someone frame the duct and drywall it, but seriously, I think this would have looked rather amateurish and very off for a SS chimney hood to have a drywalled, angular chimney, and a SS canopy.

Thank you so much!!!!

espresso

Comments (2)