Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tedarinoinmn

framing door for bathroom with low ceiling

tedarinoinmn
10 years ago

Hi,

I have a basement bathroom that I'm in the process of building. There are ducts going through about 85% of the ceiling in the bathroom, so I made the ceiling one height instead of a large soffit. The door into the bathroom can be standard height because it is in the small 15% taller part of the bathroom. I plan on making the door outswing as an inswing would hit the low ceiling. My question is how to I frame the ceiling near the door? Right now I have the ceiling framing made up of 2x4" on 24" center that start at the inside of the wall holding the door. I'm now thinking that won't work because the door jamb will hit the ceiling when I try to install it. Any help or suggestions?

Comments (7)

• homebound
    10 years ago

Is your low ceiling in the bathroom actually lower than needed for a swinging door? Hard to imagine that. You only need 80 or so inches to clear the door.

Let's say you needed just an inch or two more. Then cut down the door jamb & casing (pre-hung?) and the door an inch less than the jamb. BTW, if you cut the door bottom that much, you will expose the hollow core on the bottom. Use the scrap piece you just cut off and remove the wood core, then glue it into the gap.

This post was edited by homebound on Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 13:34

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

Use a 3-1/2" jamb and milcor to end the drywall at the jamb.
    With framing at 24"oc. you need to use 5/8" board.

• User
    10 years ago

You've got to have 80" above all of the fixtures and 84" in the rest of the room for minimum ceiling height. You're not going to pass inspection here .

• tedarinoinmn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the great help. What is milcor?

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Actually the national minimum for baths is 80" in the entire room and at the front of the fixture, and down as low as 60" where people cannot walk (at the back of the sink, at the back of the toilet); and 80" inside of a shower.

84" is the minimum height for habitable rooms excluding bathrooms.

Local codes may be more stringent.

That said 79" is not 80".

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

Milcor;
    http://www.baycitiesmetalproducts.com/product/drywall.html
    Select drywall and scroll too LM.
    Available at any drywall supplier other than the big box's and large lumber yards.