Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splats

Cost of Framing This In

splats
10 years ago

In the picture below I am thinking about framing in and putting a roof on that corner area in the picture below. I know there are a lot of variables out there, but just looking for ball park figure. The area is 13' x 12'. I would put in the slab.

If there are any contractors out there could someone give me a ballpark figure on what it would cost to frame in and roof this area?

Comments (12)

• User
    10 years ago

And what are you planning for a foundation? The walls need a foundation, not just the slab for the flooring. What's your frost depth? Is there a basement under the house to consider? How are you planning to handle the roof? Extend the shed? Extend the gable? Something else? How will you handle the rain runoff? How do you plan to handle the hot moist air from the dryer vent? When you say "framed in", is this an exterior porch space, or interior conditioned space? What about the HVAC and electrical components that have to be accounted for during the framing stage if it's interior space? Who will do the construction drawings to be able to obtain the permit? With you acting as the GC on the job by hiring out trades individually, you also assume responsibility for all of those issues and more. If you don't want responsibility for all of that, then you need to hire a GC for the whole job.

It's a LOT more complicated than "just" framing that out. Start at about 10K for just an exterior "porch" and easily go up to quadruple that + if you want to make it interior space tied in to the original structure correctly and the water handled correctly . Of course, that's using someone who's worth using. With licenses and insurance and who knows what he's doing. A hack will hack at it for less for sure. But, you get what you pay for. And something in the roofing will have to give. New shingles won't match old, and you'll have to completely re-roof whichever section that you decide to tie it into if you do want it to match. But, this isn't something that a good GC couldn't deal with on an everyday basis as a matter of course.

• splats
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You are making it way to complicated for what I was talking about, but I get your point on cost. This is just going to be a storage area. No electricity, no HVAC, etc, etc, I just wanted an idea of the cost of enclosing that area with two walls and a roof that matches the house upper siding. It would not be part of the house. I am trying to balance the cost of putting in those two walls and roof (that would obviously look better), vice putting a prebuilt shed in that corner.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

A metal shed will not require a permit, a structure will and along with that are minimum requirements for weather proofing, foundation, grade and elec.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

snoonyb, are you distinguishing a metal shed from any other kind of shed re permits? In our case, we did a wood shed, and whether we needed a permit depended on the size and whether we built a concrete slab for it (we did).

• User
    10 years ago

It it attaches to the house, it's part of the house and is subject to residential building codes, including all that was previously listed, including electrical, HVAC, and insulation. A shed larger than about 6'x8" will also be subject to many building permitting requirements such as a foundation inspection and hurricane tie downs, but may not be required to have electrical. However, if you do want to have a light in it, wire will need to be run to it correctly, and that will involve permits and inspections.

And that's where you need to start. You need to understand the permitting process and what will be required to get that permit and pass the inspections. Once you have that info, then you have a better idea of the scope of work needed, and so will any contractor that you interview.

In addition to the issues listed above, what exterior cladding are you thinking of using here? (That will impact whether or not your foundation needs a brick ledge.) Windows that match the rest of the house? (They should!) An exterior access door? (A good idea.)

Thinking through all of these issues will let you be better prepared for talking with the codes office.

• User
    10 years ago

darn double posts!

This post was edited by live_wire_oak on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 15:26

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

" sjhockeyfan ," I was responding to the OP, who it appears wants to build conforming structure, in a non-compliant manner.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

A shed larger than about 6'x8" will also be subject to many building permitting requirements such as a foundation inspection and hurricane tie downs, but may not be required to have electrical.

This is going to depend on your local requirements. Here we don't need permits for residential accessory structures when no dimension exceeds twelve feet.

• mag77
    10 years ago

Splais,

If you don't spend the money to do this addition neatly and thoughtfully, it will be an ugly mess and seriously devalue your home. If I were you, I'd buy a storage shed and locate it away from the house.

John

• 8mpg
    10 years ago

If you are talking just framing, Id guess $2000. The problem is the roof design. Are you going to continue the gable? If you were going to have this done professionally with permits, I could see this being a $8-10k job.

• splats
    Original Author
    10 years ago

8mpg, thank you very much. Finally a simple answer to what was a simple question.

• greg_2010
    10 years ago

And I could see this being a $20-30k job.

See how useless a simple answer is to a simple question? It's all in the details. And also the location. Cost varies greatly depending on where you are in the world.