Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gibas23_gw

Looking for Lawyer recommendation for GC issue

gibas23
11 years ago

Hi All, newly joined the forum but has been lurking here browsing tips and advices for months. This place helps a lot in our remodeling project.

We are currently remodeling extensively an older home in Bay Area. I have an urgent GC issue. To summary the situation is we need him to come in and finish the electrical works and HVAC installation that we had paid him since July. He has been coming in sporadically like a few hours per week and did minimal work, mostly came in just to pick arguments and has kept rescheduling our power release inspections. The mechanical guy that he subcontracted was supposed to come in last week, has just rescheduled to don't know when. In the meantime, we had to move out from our previous home this week that we have sold back in May and had rented back from our buyer. He promised the works will be done and we can move in. The 2 days before the move, he flaked out and told us we can't move in because of the incomplete electrical works, unless we sign a waiver to release him from liability and his works obligation. We are now staying in a hotel. The house is 95% done, except for the two items above plus minor finishing touches. We are using a different subs now to do the finishing of the house. I told him we are moving in next Friday and I have called for an inspection schedule on Thursday, so he better finish the jobs by then.

I am thinking to start talking to a lawyer next week to go over out contract and see what we can do to recoup from this guy if we end up hiring another subs to finish his jobs, but we dont have any name to call to. Does anyone can recommend us a good one? Thank you so much.

How about me trying to contact the GC RMO? would it help? I am definitely thinking of filing complaint thru Licensing Board.

Also, I checked his company license and the license is exempt from having workers comps insurance because he reported no employees. But when he was working at our house, there were many workers who came in regularly and when we asked these workers, they all said they worked for him regularly for full time. Do I have a case to report him here?

If you are still reading this lengthy post, thank you.

Comments (3)