Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fountainhughes

Making pine look like oak (Stain)

fountainhughes
16 years ago

I am currently installing a floor in my home with red oak flooring. This flooring will be going down the hallway and into all the bedrooms. My question is this...all of the doors going into the rooms are pine 6 panel solid wood doors. I have priced solid oak doors to replace the pine ones at a price of $1500.00 for 6 doors. Is there a way to make my pine doors look like oak? I have done alot of faux work in the past so I am not afraid to tackle something like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (12)

• User
    16 years ago

No. Even with faux finishes---too much grain detail in oak to replicate.

I do sympathize, since my youngest son/DIL flipped a house with much the same situation---pine trim, darker floating floors and had to replace three oak doors----we never did find a suitable solution. I did manage to stain the oak doors to match the original doors closely enough to match for most peoples taste---but the overall effect is still 'off'.

Best solution in your case, IMHO, is to paint the trim and doors. That takes any discord due to wood grain/texture differences out of the picture.

• fountainhughes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for all your input! I just got another quote from Lowes for $325.00 for six-panel solid oak pre-hung doors. I'll have to choose between pine or oak... Thanks again!

• randymeyer
    16 years ago

Why do the doors have to match the floors? Different species of woods mixed together not only creates visual interest but it is very common. I have red oak floors with a natural finish, painted frames with 6-panel pine doors stained a medium brown/cherry color. I can email you pics if you would like.

• annzgw
    16 years ago

Have to agree with randy. I have white oak floors with fir doors. The floors aren't as dark as they appear in the pic but it will give you a visual.

{{!gwi}}

• Michael
    16 years ago

ann,

That is gorgeous!

The varibles in the wood panels are also a very
    attractive look. You just can't beat natural wood
    for warmth and beauty.

Michael

• annzgw
    16 years ago

Thanks Michael. The builder did a great job on this home.........he changed the flooring to tile in the kitchen and added Hickory cabinets. A peninsula base (hickory) butts against the oak flooring........looks great together!

He built this home for himself, but unfortunately passed away 3 months before finishing it. I think of him often and fully appreciate all the love and attention to detail that he put into this home.

• randymeyer
    16 years ago

Annz,
    My house looks almost identical to the above pic with the exception of the beadboard wainscot and the 10' ceilings. The stain color, painted trim with crown mold and the wall color are almost the same.

• ranger11
    10 years ago

I installed new pine doors, with oak jams and oak moulding I would like to use a stain that would make all the wood look nice together in a light tone.
    Thanks,
    Chris

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Nothing will really make them look anything alike

• millworkman
    10 years ago

• millworkman
    10 years ago