Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chipcook_gw

Dry Wall Sanding Attachment for Shop Vac

chipcook
14 years ago

I wanted to bring to everyone's attention about a great product that attaches to your shop vac and sucks up the dry wall dust created when sanding. Prior to this I would not sand enough because it was so messy. I was looking last night at my first attempts at making the wall nice and smooth (before I discovered this product) and it is really terrible. So uneven, bumpy etc. I accepted it as ok and moved on. For my last project I checked out a book on how to dry wall. This attachment to your shop vac was casually mentioned in only two sentences and wasn't stressed very much. Luckily I went to Amazon and started researching products that used key words of dry wall sanding attachment.

I eventually ordered the Marshalltown VS792 Vacuum Sander with hose. It was less than $30. I ordered it in July and have used it for my latest dry wall project. I try to minimize the sanding that will be required but I am no longer hesitant to sand. Absolutely no dust spreads around the room. I do not even bother to cover furniture and other items in the same room. I no longer wear goggles, or something to cover my head. The only negative thing is the loud noise of the shop vac. But I use ear plugs and it is ok.

The secret is using dry wall sanding screens that attach to the Marshalltown 'sanding block' that has a hose attachment for connecting to the shop vac. It is rectangular so has trouble reaching into corners. It is light weight and the hose easily can change the angle of sanding. Use very little pressure and keep the pressure even.

Some dust doesn't make it all the way into the shop vac container and stays in the hose. A little might fall out after you turn off the vac. But it works and I now sand and I am so very happy that I found this product.My end result is much better and I am proud of the look of the walls and celing that I did in that room. I consider this one of the best things I ever bought.

Go to Amazon and search for Marshalltown VS792 to read more about it.

Comments (15)

• andrelaplume2
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

any otgher takers, assuming this is not spam I'd love something like this...anyone else have a comment as to how it works...

• mike_kaiser_gw
    14 years ago

I have used the Magna Sand and Kleen which is similar to the Marshalltown product except that the dust filters through a bucket of water between the hand piece and shop vac. Unless you have a really good filter on your vacuum, some of the dust will get out. The "water filter" does a really nice job of containing the dust although it is kind of a mess to clean up.

• zl700
    14 years ago

I have one and many times the hose is long enough to put the shopvac out the door or window which helps the dust and alot less noise.

• andrelaplume2
    14 years ago

hmmmm.....so when I sand now and vac up...I guess some dust escapes the vac..I never realized this. I have an old Craftsman, maybe 5hp...will it work...do I need a special filter...it probably 20 years old...though not often used.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    14 years ago

Depending on the vacuum's filter, a lot of dust can escape. I used Gore's (as in Gore-Tex) Cleanstream filters and have been quite pleased with them. They last quite a while (I've had two in the last 10+ years) so that offsets the expense somewhat.

Because drywall dust is so fine and no filter is perfect, I would try to use a water system or, as another member suggested, hook a hose on the exhaust of the vacuum and vent it outside. Cleanstream filters are available for a variety of vacuum's including Shop Vac, Craftsman, and Rigid.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gore's Cleanstream Filters

• andrelaplume2
    14 years ago

My shop vac is 2HP..does it have a chance of working with this attachment?

• dave777_2009
    14 years ago

Andrelaplume2 -

Yes - this would probably work with a 2HP. But you might wish to purchase the "Oneida Dust Deputy" instead!

However - I totally disagree with the original poster "chipcook". NOTHING makes drywall work 'dustless'.

These tools SUBSTANTIALLY cut down on the amount of dust - but your going to have dust - if your working on drywall.

I use the HYDE 'dust free sanding kit' (upc: 079423091650 / model#09165) You can purchase online, or various stores; such as McLendon's Hardware (local/(local owned) store in Seattle) http://www.mclendons.com

Any review that states the Hyde or whatever tool will make totally dustless - is an exaggeration.

The Dust Deputy works great, and can also be used for numerous other vacuum chores. I use it all the time. And it catches really FINE dust. Or wood chips, or whatever.

But somehow it also 'leaks'. So that you get a fine coating of dust or woodchips on the lid... I have the model completely made by Oneida. I did not purchase the 'kit'. I own two of them.

Getting any of this stuff to correctly hook up to your shopvac - is a PAIN. No standardization exists in regards to vac hoses. I went to Home Depot and purchased some rubber plumbing sleeves, and a couple of plastic plumbing reducers, and got stuff to go together without using duct tape.

I've also purchased several various manufacturer's hose sets - sometimes just for a stinking hose accessory which isn't available elsewhere... trying to get various vac parts to fit together...

The Hyde drywall sander, or similar work. However - a lot of people which are used to drywalling - don't like the screens. Say they make 'grooves' or patterns in the drywall. It takes a really LIGHT touch - just a stroke of your hand lightly across a 'baby's face' - to make this work. If your pressing down - cause your 'sanding' - you will make marks from the screen.

This is also where the suction adjustment comes in handy. To much suction, and your pressing to 'hard' - even when your trying not to...

I equipped a shopvac, with a Hepa filter; and run that to the Oneida, and then from the Oneida go to the Hyde hand sander... You can get various 'grits' in the screens, but usually they are actually to BIG for the sander, and you have to watch it that they don't cut into the drwyall on an edge or something.... (Like doing ceiling work close to a wall.) You are supposed to be able to 'fold' the screen around the tool - so that you can sand sideways.... I just wish they made the screens fit the tool - instead of having them be either to large or to small...

If you purchase the Oneida Dust Deputy - you will be AMAZED at the amount of dust this captures. But remember - NONE of this stuff will create a truly 'dust free' drywall work enviornment. You WILL get a huge handle on the dust - but your going to have dust.

Using the Oneida, whether your doing woodworking, or drywall, etc. your vacuum will stay virtually EMPTY. Hardly anything will go into it... But drywall dust is REALLY FINE - so I use a Hepa filter when doing drywall along with all of the above, and lots and lots and lots of PATIENCE.

My lovely wife and I learned how to do drywall (and she's the 'finisher') by using Myron R. Ferguson's book" DRYWALL.

Can't recommend it enough.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

If you practice enough you will not need to sand.

The closest I come to sanding is running a 6 inch knife over the wall to clean up any small bumps, then the next coat goes on.

The only knife you really need is a 6 inch one.

I started out doing plaster, so smooth drywall joints are very simple.

• zl700
    14 years ago

Agreed, except I go up to 9"
    I get laughed at about the additional extra skim coats, but with a blade and a damp sponge, I rarely sand either.

• drywall_diy_guy
    14 years ago

I am with brickeyee. You can finish a wall better by not sanding but rather using your taping knife to knock the surface down. Then, when all coats are on the surface holds up to a bright low angle light, lightly sand with some 200 grit on a block with circular motion, just to touch up the surface. See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finishing Drywall Without Sanding

• andrelaplume2
    14 years ago

well I have been trying and the best results so far have come with AL OT of sanding. By the time I am 'good enough' not to sand...I may done!

• peanutmom
    14 years ago

I actually have one of these with the shopvac name on it. I am now the finisher in house since DH patience is a little on the thin side since being back at work. I requires a light touch. Even though it will not make sanding dustless, it really cuts down on the dust. I make it a habit of taking the hose off the attachment and sucking the dust out of the attachment periodically. It really cuts down on the amount of dust that escapes. I still don't care for sanding, but anything that makes it easier and less messy is worth a try. I have to agree with some of the other posters that the finishing scim coats are really the secret. If I get that smooth, all I need is a sponge. All in all, the best thing seems to be keep the destractions down and concentrate on keeping your final coat(s) smooth.

Happy sanding all!

• andrelaplume2
    14 years ago

I took my hialogen light upsstairs to the finished part of the house. I shown it on a wall. I got down and looked up at a horizontal seam. I could see the mark where they mudded it. I really had to be looking at an angle to see it. I am am not suggesting it should be noticable; just that they guys who originally did the job were not perfect either. Of course I can also see tape marks an nail holes throught the house as well. Maybe I am just being too critical of my own work. I'll keep trying.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"there is a dustless sanding sponge that just came out. "

If you are using pre-mixed drywall compound just use a grout sponge.

Wet the sponge, wrong out almost dry. then sweep[ it over the mud.
    The mud will slightly soften and can be smoothed without producing any dust.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"The Vacuu-Sponge just hooks up to your vacuum and you can sand quickly and move material. "

Or just learn how to finish without needing sanding.

The drywall folks seem to have a hard time with it, plaster was NEVER sanded to get a flat wall.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling