Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Selatex material under siding

Posted by scott2006 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 07 at 7:07

Hello,

I have a question for you.
I'm going to remove the old aluminum siding and have vinyl put on. AND insulation blown in the side walls after the siding is removed. ( thanks for the previous info)

The question is.... should I remove the old original selatex.. ( the thin black ... not so strong stuff) and replace it with OSB board for better insulation?

Or would that be a waste of time and money.?

Thank You
Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Selatex material under siding

When they built your house, Celotex was used as an economy measure while the plywood was used at the corners for structural strength. If you're going to insulate the walls, the Celotex is sufficient. OSB isn't going to increase your energy savings by much. If you keep the Celotex, be sure the siding is nailed to the studs and not the Celotex.

You may have to supervise that part of the job(the nailing) Unfortunately, most siding installations are incorrectly fastened.

Michael

o

Thanks for the info Michael.

Scott

o

Another question... on insulating the walls....when the old siding is removed I will have the Celatex board type material and exsisting R 7 insulation already in the wall. The R 7 is installed with the insulation pushed out towards the outside wall so that there is a ( about 2 or 3 inch or so air gap between the inside wall and the kraft face of the old insulation.

The installer wants to put Tyvack wing material over the house. Is this good enough or should I be doing something better?

Scott

Is it ok to put the new blowen in celulose in that space between the inside wall and the kraft paper from the R7?

Scott

o

Of course if the wall insulation is in your budget, do it. I will increase the wall value and save you money.

Tyvek is good too. It's a draft barrier and allows venting. Make sure it's taped properly.

Michael

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here