Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using OSB to re-enforce Kerdi-Board

Posted by hudel (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 3:58

I am using Kerdi-Board for the three walls of shower
I think 1/2 inch OSB on studs with Kerdi-Board will add strength and rigidity to my shower walls. Does this sound a as a good idea. Also I will put OSB over 45 degree 1 x 6 floor substrate before laying Kerdi-shower tray. This will make floor very strong...is that over kill?
Is external plywood better than OSB for this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using OSB to re-enforce Kerdi-Board

OSB has no place in a bathroom. Period. Use cement board on the walls. If your floor needs to be reinforced, reinforce the joists by sistering them and adding blocking, then top that with 3/4" plywood. Check a deflectometer to be sure that will be rigid enough. Then build your preslope. Then your membrane, then your tile.

o

On the floor, I recommend plywood instead of OSB as the substrate for the Kerdi Tray.

On the walls, 1/2" Kerdi Board can go right over the studs. But if you prefer to stiffen your walls with a layer of sheet goods prior to installig the Kerdi Board, I recommend plywood there instead of OSB for a couple of reasons.

o

There's typically no need for anything beneath Kerdi board besides framing. (On the other hand, I once demolished an addition where the homeowner had nailed each ceiling tile with 3" spikes for "added strength.")

Here is a link that might be useful: Kerdi Board applications

This post was edited by worthy on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 17:35

o

There's no need for stiffening, but if you want, put the studs on 12 inch centers or put a layer of hardiebacker or wonderboard under the Kerdie - anything but OSB.

o

Worthy: "I once demolished an addition where the homeowner had nailed each ceiling tile with 3" spikes for "added strength.""

I had to take out a linoleum floor with 1/4" plywood underlayment that was gun-nailed with hundreds and hundreds of ring-shanks in each sheet - the installers had even shot-in stars and circles and spelled out their names with nails.

o

"We are amused!"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here