Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corinnem123

Help my ugly house!

CorinneM123
11 years ago

We just purchased our first home! The only problem is the exterior. I want to get rid of the shutters and add more trim around the windows. I would really appreciate any suggestions on paint colors and how to add more interest to the front since you do not see the front door when standing in front of the house.

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Its a cute home. Congratulations!

You are on the right track...get rid of the shutters, beef up the trim around the windows, around the roof line and beef up that column....add trim if possible around the front porch. Put a light fixture over the porch area.

Most of the rest is landscaping issues...Does the sidewalk go to the street? Think about getting rid of the concrete and the straight line....curve the walkway instead, esp if you can get a better view of the front door by doing so. Maybe look into stamped concrete for the walkway. Add plantings...maybe turn the area on the left in front of the window into a patio area with chairs and plantings to add charm.

As far as color, you can go in any direction you like, esp with a white roof. Go to the Ben Moore website and look at their exterior paint combos for some ideas.

• dainaadele
    11 years ago

Cute house. I should be doing other things, instead I felt like playing with photoshop....
    New shutters and a cheery color would already make it nicer, but here is my simple structural idea...

• dainaadele
    11 years ago

I got to get back to work.... it is just your house has such good bones.

• Fori
    11 years ago

I agree--not a lost cause at all. Get more photos, some general measurements, and a kevlar suit, and take it to the landscape design forum. They might be able to help you with the yard--seems to me your house isn't too bad. It's just lonely!

Also try the home decorating forum. I do like Daina's yellow version. Big shutters! And yellow!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/design/

• jamie81
    11 years ago

Very cute! Not an ugly house at all! I agree with Annie, landscaping will make a huge difference. You already have a gorgeous tree. Adding some color with shrubs and enlarging the gardens will give it a little more personality.

Not a fan of bright colors on houses, but I guess it depends on where you live. Your house just needs a little contrast, so it stands out a bit. Wider trim and new shutters will look great.

• powermuffin
    11 years ago

Your house will be quite cute with just a bit of work. I agree with you about beefing up the trim and removing the shutters. I would put a nice window box below the window. In the winter, you can put evergreen boughs in it.

Right now the house has the blaas because the paint choice and roof color don't compliment one another. Even if all you do is paint that little strip of trim up by the roof line a contrasting color, the house would be cheerer. Dark blue, deep red or a rich gray-green would do wonders. Then you can think about painting the main part of the house after you settle in.

The landscape could be easily fixed with a deep garden area in front of the window and the addition of perennials and small evergreens as dainaadele has shown.

The suggestion of a curved walkway in an interesting material is also a good idea.
    Diane