Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueusi

Is a 60' hood too much?

jacqueusi
12 years ago

I'm not quite sure where to post a picture or pictures, but I'm in the midst of building a new kitchen. Rough dimensions are 12 feet by 13 feet. Our original plan was to go with a 48 inch wall hood, but an amazing deal came up for a used 60 inch Viking hood complete with blower, for less than the price of a new 48 inch with a less powerful blower. Besides sacrificing cabinet storage, our builder is concerned the "commercial" hood will be too overpowering for the design.

Our kitchen is L shaped, with an island in the middle. The cooking surface will be a collection of 15" cooking modules, either a 15" or 30" induction top, 15" grill, and 15" multifunction grill module.

Comments (5)

• energy_rater_la
    12 years ago

you should check the cfm (cubic feet per minute)
    that the hoods move.
    while commercial kitchens need higher cfm
    residential kitchens do not.
    installing too large of a fan (cfm) will
    cause house to go into a negative pressure
    when fan is in use.
    add in times when fan is on, and bath fans in
    use and you are pulling in air from cracks in
    house to equal air being pushed out by fans.

there is a reason that there are commercial
    stoves & fans ..these kitchens are in use continously
    for hours daily. not so in residential.

best of luck

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"installing too large of a fan (cfm) will
    cause house to go into a negative pressure
    when fan is in use."

Get a variable speed fan and you can use it on lower speed except when you are really making a lot of smoke.

• RRM1
    12 years ago

If it's a true commercial exhaust hood, be careful with souffles, small children and hair pieces.

• jacqueusi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I never considered negative pressure. We're building an Energy Star constructed home, so I'm sure the house will be pretty tight!

Thanks for the advice. For those of your curious about the hood, here is a link,

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• Stickball
    10 years ago

I have a 66" Viking Chimney Hood with a 1,500 cfm external blower over 60" of Viking stove(s) --- a 24" Gas griddle top oven and a 36" dual fuel oven with 4 burners and a 12" grill. It's designed to be a high use environment.

Presently under construction so I can't tell you if it depletes the oxygen in the house. But I have two windows inches away on either side of the stove so I plan on always cracking a window for fresh MUA.

I'm aware of the need for MUA and negative air pressure in a tightly sealed home, however an indoor grill can create a lot of smoke and hence the need for a large exhaust.

I spent considerable time visiting Wolf and Viking showrooms and cooking centers with actual installations and cooking demonstrations. IMO, the indoor grill is, and to some extent the griddle, the main reason to vent large.