Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jhzr2

2x4s that suspended a ceiling?

JHZR2
9 years ago

I hope the image attaches. Long story short, remodeling our kitchen, and because there were a few spots where the plaster was bad (gone, and acoustic tile was put over it), we decided to pull the ceiling.

Kitchen is linear, front to back on outer wall in a four square house with a butler's pantry perpendicular, side to side on the back wall. Butlers pantry and some of kitchen stick out from the otherwise outer walls of the four square design. In other words, rear end of the house has one story area that is partly kitchen and partly pantry. Intent of pulling ceiling from that area is because there could be insulation installed, plus consistency of ceiling height.

In the picture you're looking at the front of the kitchen, outer wall to the left and behind. Triple beam in picture behind the two 2x4s closest in the foreground is the edge of the four square portion of the house, so everything rear of that is the single story section (note the roof above the position of the photographer).

Anyway, the two 2x4s shown in the picture closest in the foreground (going right to left) go the full width of the single story area coming off the back of the house. So they go from exterior wall to exterior wall. The lath was attached to them, and then plastered.

Of course I will consult an engineer to make a final assessment in person, but is there any reason why these 2x4s would be structural?

I imagine they do tie in the two side walls at the top. But any thoughts on if that is necessary?

Since that portion has a raised roof, we were thinking of insulating the roof, and making the ceiling vaulted.

But if those 2x4s have a strength and stability necessity to them, we will pass.

Just want to go in smart when an engineer comes to consult.

Hope I was clear, I'll post a few other pictures, sorry for the quality.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• JHZR2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More of the 2x4s straight up making up what was the ceiling. Note the wall straight ahead will be partially removed.

• JHZR2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry it's blurry, but there are these long 2x4 spans. Must be 16' or more.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

It's hard to assess this from pictures, but even if they are tying the walls together, there are other relatively inexpensive ways of accomplishing that allowing the removal of the 2x4s.

I've seen this accomplished with metal perimeter bands and even threaded rods.

• JHZR2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi,

I realize once looking on a computer that some of the photos that are oriented properly and view fine on my phone, don't seem to do so on the computer.

I guess the question I need to get smart on is do walls in a typical balloon frame construction need cross members to support them at the top? Does a roof that does not have a triangular configuration offer suitable support?

The roof goes from the outer wall of the one story pantry, up to attach to the side of the outer wall of the rest of the structure. So roof forces balance between pushing down on the fasteners on the higher side where it is affixed to the wall, and pushing down on the sill plate of the lower side, which transmits force to the foundation.

Perhaps I can hand draw the situation better...

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

A shed roof like you have (even though it appears to be a hip)
    does not typically need any kind of collar tie. There is no outward thrust like a gable roof has, because the wall it is attached to at the high side is taking the thrust all by itself.
    Casey

• JHZR2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll have to look at the terminology of shed vs gable roof, but the main section of the house has a four-sided roof, not a two sided, and so the part that extends out does have three sides to the roof, for what it's worth.

Not sure if this image I drew helps at all.

• JHZR2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, yes it is a hip roof if it were cut in half, with the side of the house being the one side.