Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jhzr2

Replacing exterior door from the inside

JHZR2
9 years ago

Hi,

Were doing a kitchen renovation on an older home, and are considering replacing the exterior door that is part of the kitchen.

Thing is, we have some unique elements to our exterior aluminum siding, it's not just the typical j channel butted up against the casing. Finding replacement siding of our type is difficult, it isn't available at most places, and even if we were to take our chances, most siding guys wouldn't come for such a small job anyway (I tried for another small job previously).

I would get a prehung of the same opening and size, so that the storm door (also a custom size) would still fit and be unbothered by the change. This way it would be optimally sealed and offer better energy efficiency. The interior would have full access due to the renovation. So, could I remove the old door jamb, sill, etc, and the replace the door from the interior?

Not sure if this would be possible. But I need to entertain the concept, because the door gets full sun, and is slightly cool in the winter (not drafty, but you can feel that energy is making its way out), even with weatherstripping and a storm door.

I'm just really scared about disturbing the siding in replacing a door. Any advice?

Comment (1)