Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

Slab poured., now, What to do about existing pipe in slab?

bridget helm
9 years ago

We are in south Louisiana. We bought a house built in 76. We had the back exterior brick wall torn down and 9 additional feet added to the existing slab then framed and Sheetrocked.
There was a hose hookup on the back brick wall. So now this copper pipe hose hookup is sticking up in the middle of the slab in what will be the master bedroom.

The plumber had a man with an ultrasound try to find the pipe in the walls so that the supply could be stopped at the source. The ultrasound man cut 2 holes in the walls but was unsuccessful in finding the pipe. So now I still have a pipe in the middle of my bedroom plus 2 holes in my wall and no solution for what to do with this pipe.

The plumber we hired for the job refuses to cap it in the slab because he doesn't want to be responsible if it leaks under the floors in the future. However, shouldn't he have found the main pipe (not sure if I'm wording correctly) before the slab was poured as he was asked to do?

The carpenter is saying it should have been dealt with before the slab was poured. If it would have been, we would have been able to find the main line. He says the ultrasound isn't working because the slab has been poured???

Either way, I don't want to point fingers. I just need a solution.

Advice??

Thx!

Comments (2)