Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkhall

Johnson pocket door wisdom?

kirkhall
11 years ago

Hi all you pocket-door experienced--

We are gearing up for a remodel in which we will have at least 3 pocket doors. I know from the forum the collective wisdom is to use Johnson Hardware, and I have looked over their website.

However, what I'd also like to know is, when you say, "use Johnson hardware", which hardware? Is the "residential" one good enough?

Also, do you usually buy the whole pocket kit (for the wall portion) or do you usually make your own (I will have a contractor, so should I have him use the stud kit from Johnson)?

And, finally, my spouse is insisting that the pocket doors for the toilet rooms have a lock (I think, if the door is closed, it is obviously in use, but apparently we need a lock).

What lock do you recommend for a pocket door? Any particular brand?

Will be redrawing my "final plan" and posting it later this week on the Build forum for collective final comments for those who are curious (because my spouse is of really no help on this!).

Thank you all!

Comments (8)

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

111PD series hardware.

I have never used the pre-fabs since they are not deep enough to allow anything but low voltage wiring (even a 1.25 inch deep electric box is in the pocket).

The plastic door guides are not very good.
    They eventuality scratch the face of the door.

A piece of aluminum angle on the floor of the pocket and a mating groove in the bottom of the door is far more effective at preventing sway and nothing shows if you stop the groove before the exposed edge of the door.

The angle goes about 1 inch deep from the split jamb of the pocket.

If the door is not wide enough to keep the angle captured in the slot, add some wood to the pocket edge.

You also should be aware that you have to adjust door width if you have a pattern on the door (like a paneled door) and want the pattern centered when the door is closed.
    Some of the door needs to remain in the pocket even when closed.

Plain flat doors are not an issue (except for the sway stop).

• kirkhall
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both!

Any thoughts on pocket door locks?

I think we will mostly only use slab/flat face doors. I've just posted my layout for final comment on the build forum if either of you have anything to weigh in on that.

(particularly if you agree with my pocket door placements).

Here is a link that might be useful: final design on Build forum

• elphaba_gw
    11 years ago

I'm looking at pocketdoor hardware for ADA - i.e. accessible from a wheel chair. Haven't investigated much - except the sketch here indicates "privacy latch".
    But then in another part of the description, it says the door can be opened from the outside?? More speciically "WARNING
    Plate can be raised and unlocked from the outside
    when in the locked position"

Here is a link that might be useful: more of diagram pocket door hardware ADA

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

brickeye's advice to use the aluminum angle only works if the bottom of the door (rail and stile) are solid wood. If not, the constant back and forth of the door will tear up the door. I was planning on putting using this method and found out it would not work with our doors. I was bummed.

• kirkhall
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dekeoboe-- what did your doors have at the bottom? If some sort of particle board, could you just cut that out, and replace with wood? (Like when you have a hollow core door, cut it down, and then replace the wood structure to give it structure)?

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

kirkhall - Thanks for the thought. Yes, they are made from industrial grade particle board. Plus, they are a lag bolt construction. We didn't want to alter them because they are glass doors and we didn't want to chance anything happening to the glass.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"brickeye's advice to use the aluminum angle only works if the bottom of the door (rail and stile) are solid wood. If not, the constant back and forth of the door will tear up the door. "

Never had any complaints or saw any damage from the cheap composite doors.

It is not like you have to leave the edges of the aluminum sharp.
    Files work.

I have always rounded off both edges going into the door groove.

Aluminum is harder than the softwood framing use on even a typical hollow core door.