Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scullery_gw

Hardie plank update

scullery
9 years ago

DH and I are evaluating siding options for a long-delayed addition -- we figure that as long as we have to wait to be sure we have the money, we might as well spend the time on research. However, it's been hard to come to any useful conclusions on Hardie plank. Some people love it, while others describe a total nightmare. A few of the differing conclusions can be attributed to climate (there are far more concerns in wet, snowy climates than warm ones), but even so, there's a wide range of experiences in icy northern weather. I found myself wondering if there's a significant difference in the success rate for primed Hardie that's painted on site vs. factory prefinished siding. So here's a request: if you have a strong feeling about Hardie plank, whether positive or negative, could you post it with the four following pieces of info: 1, whether it was finished at the factory or onsite; 2, what climate you live in; 3, when it was installed; 4, whether it's smooth or wood grained (I have no idea whether this makes a difference, but just in case it has some unsuspected effect on material content or workmanship). Maybe we can suss out why people have such radically different experiences with Hardie. Thanks so much.

Comments (2)