Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Popcorn ceiling texture - is contractor's work acceptable?

Posted by marg143 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 22:23

I hired a contractor to, among other things, demo a soffit and patch the ceiling/popcorn texture to match. It was a soffit between kitchen and DR (the other soffits will be covered by cabinets/crown so don't matter).

Is this a good / acceptable job? I can sometimes be too detailed/picky so I don't know if it's just me. When we discussed this at his hire, he said he would get it "as good as it can". The ceiling had been recently painted so it's not a paint color issue. He also 'feathered' the texture into the kitchen and repainted the entire kitchen. What is visible seems to be result of slight differences in depth as well as some texture difference. I'll post a couple other photos following.

When I'm standing directly underneath the section, it's also visible, but what is most bothersome is to see this at a distance and have the ceiling seem marred (humble abode though it may be). They are 8' ceilings so a little more in field of vision than higher would be.

Thanks for any help from anyone, and also especially from any contractors/experienced with ceiling texture.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Popcorn ceiling texture - is contractor's work acceptable?

Looks good from here

o

Matching popcorn ceilings is a very difficult job.

I'm posting a pic below of a reposession rehab I did this year of a seven-year old townhouse. The painter patched the ceiling subjected to long-neglected leaks, then re-textured the area. In the photo, it stands out. In person, you'd really only see it if you knew what you were looking for. Respraying the entire ceiling in a new coat of paint would have completely disguised the repair.

Similarly, when I've torn down partitioning walls and was faced with three different ceiling heights and different texturing, the plasterer levelled the ceilings with mesh and plaster, then applied new heavy texturing to the entire ceiling.

Spending more, you can always get a more perfect job.

This post was edited by worthy on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 12:34

o

Thank you! We did repaint... it sounds like yours (worthy) was not repainted and thus the difference. I think my difference is due to depth/texture vs. paint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here