Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carlyb123_gw

Did I just ruin our new tile job?

CarlyB123
12 years ago

Argh! In the middle of typing and suddenly bam! The thing is gone! No idea if it will show up here or if it's just gone for good...

We hired someone to install tile in our kitchen/dining room. He did a sort of okay job (I think... I don't know about these things... is it okay if the tops of the tiles are a bit uneven???) but when he grouted we ran into big problems. It dried very light, nearly white with a pinkish tone. It was supposed to be "camel" kind of a medium brown. Not to mention cracking and breaking out of the grout lines. He repaired, and it fixed it... sort of.

He also applied the grout to the tops of the tiles where it embedded itself into the pits and cracks. After trying several solutions (including grout stain) I decided to stain the top of the tile with wood stain. After sealing the grout I did so. It looks gorgeous! But also a bit... oily. I wiped off excess oil as I went. Have I ruined the tile? Will the oil eventually dry? Wish I could include a photo!! Couldn't find instructions for that... I did look for them but no luck.

Should I apply mineral spirits? I dont' have any... probably would have to wait a couple of days. Is that okay?

Thanks for any help!

Comments (6)

• Olychick
    12 years ago

Can't help with the tile, but here's how to post pics (thanks to buehl) for the experts to see...

Here is a link that might be useful: posting photos

• CarlyB123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! Click on View all:

• worthy
    12 years ago

You'll get loads of hits on removing accidentally spilled wood stain from tile.

I've used mineral spirits successfully.

Here is a link that might be useful: Removing Wood Stain from Tile

• CarlyB123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just wanted to say that I tried Mineral Spirits... *big* mistake! I'm in a little different situation... I don't want to clean off accidentally spilled wood stain, I actually used the stain deliberately. I want to remove the oily residue. Actually, it seems to have resolved itself. It seems like it's dry now. When I applied Mineral Spirits to an oily area it seemed to take off the oil, but when it dried the whole thing had a whitish glaze and was very dull. I reapplied the wood stain and it returned to its deep, rich color. Phew!! My concern is that the oil will eventually do something icky that I don't want it to do. Or that it will wear badly. I guess I just have to wait and see.

• annzgw
    12 years ago

What type tile is that, and was it glazed? My guess is it's going to gradually wear away and it's going to be a pain to keep clean.
    The installer should have done a better job of cleaning or at least sealed the tile before grouting if it was unglazed.

Check out the forum below for some suggestions from the experts.

Here is a link that might be useful: JB Forum

• brit_n_rick
    12 years ago

Grout: If your grout is too light and not matching your sample - then your tile installer added too much water to grout mixture. This causes oxygen at the surface of the dried grout, causing the white color. There are (2) ways to correct the issue: #1: remove and old grout and re-grout or #2: dye the existing grout.

Tile being uneven: I can't really tell in your photos how uneven the tiles are... but at the very least, your tile installer should have used a tile puck. It is a level that installers use to ensure that everything is even and that there is a correct amount of mortar under each piece.

Grout in the tile: This is actually what a lot of people do ON PURPOSE because they like the natural / rustic look of it. If you did not want that look - then the installer should have sealed the tile BEFORE grouting so that the grout could be cleaned off the tile easier. To get the grout out at this point would be difficult. They do make a heavy duty cleaner that breaks up the grout and makes it easier to chip out. You could use a grout removal tool add-on for drill or roto-zip. Very, very tedious work though... and it may be easier and quicker just to retile. *** Although I know a lot of clients that LOVE the way this looks...

Oil stain on tile: No, I don't think you ruined the tile. But I am wondering why you put the stain. Did you want the tile to be glossy? You should be able to get the oil stain off with mineral spirits and mineral spirits will not damage the tile. Just wet some rags and wipe. You will probably have to wipe it down a few times.

Was your tile pre-sealed? Most tiles (unless noted) are pre-sealed at the factory so it is going to be pretty impervious to any other liquids or sealers. So that means - if the tile was not glossy when you bought it, then you cannot just put a gloss seal on it to make it glossy. Basically the tile will have difficulty absorbing the gloss sealant. If the tile is truly un-sealed (such as a marble, travertine, limestone, ect.) then you will need to seal it before you start using it to avoid stains and dirt.

Your tile looks like the Rialto or Roman stone series from Lowe's. If that is it - then it is a porcelain pre-glazed tile and you cannot make it glossy. The finish that is on it (dull) is how the tile is made.

Hope that helps!