Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krycek1984

Knocking hole in wall for windows

krycek1984
10 years ago

We are adding two windows, a slider, and a door. The slider and the door are going where a window currently is, and the two new windows are totally new.

How do I go about getting someone to make holes for me if needed? We want Andersen windows and I've had a heck of a time getting anyone to call me back but Home Depot. Of course, they don't do "structural alterations". If we want with them what kind of subcontractor would we get to make the holes?

Comments (15)

• annzgw
    10 years ago

I would suggest you walk into a lumberyard......not HD/Lowes......., a true lumberyard, and ask for referrals for contractors that do home remodeling.

Another option is to talk to your neighbors and ask if they've used any contractors, then do a search via google for Remodeling Contractors Cleveland (or whatever town you live in).

Get at least 3 estimates for the work needed.....and in case you haven't read any of the other threads, do NOT pay upfront for any work that hasn't been done.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

You'll need an eng. either privately or in association with a contractor.
    Any responsible contractor can provide you a bid from a stamped, so make sure your design is final, set of plans, w/o taking a percentage.

• krycek1984
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We don't really need a contractor...this is the last bit of our project that we are doing...already in the middle of kitchen bath plumbing etc.

I called one lumber company that deals with Andersen and they never called me back. The other one called me back after 2weeks which is not acceptable.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

You do understand that punching a hole in a wall let alone 3 or 4 in a row, and creating a structure around it, destroys the existing shear resistance of that wall, and unless you recreate it, you can be living in a house of cards.

• krycek1984
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, which is why we aren't even thinking of doing it. Should a reputable window installer be able to take care of all that for me?

Also there are only two totally new openings...the other two already have large windows, that obviously need enlarged and properly done.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

Like pulling teeth.
    Depending upon how much you are enlarging the openings, how comfortable a window installer feels. will determine that.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

What is the exterior cladding of the home?

Cutting holes in the outside wall is not a big deal and some window installers have some framing acumen that will allow them to complete the process.

As mentioned above, this requires engineering and permits in most cases (unless you file a supplement to an existing) and is not just like cutting a hole.

Each opening, depending on span, will need to have a properly sized header to absorb and restructure the load bearing capacity of the wall.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Definitely more involved than "Knocking hole in wall for windows". The two gentleman above are exactly right and the possibly the reason your having issues with people getting back to you as all you want id someone to "Knocking hole in wall for windows" and then you will do the rest and that is not what these guys do for a living.

• User
    10 years ago

You or your contractor can design the headers using the header table in the applicable building code and the section on lateral bracing or you can use an engineer hired by you or your contractor. This is not a job for a lumberyard, the manufacturer of engineered lumber, or a window installer.

However, if this is an older existing house that is not platform framed your only choice is an engineer who can investigate the structure and certify that the the new openings do not adversely affect the structural integrity of the house.

You're not just knocking holes in the walls.

• krycek1984
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok let's get back on track here...firstly, I never mentioned anything about the new holes to these places...just told them I needed some new windows and doors and they never called me back. I should not be blamed for poor customer service.

Second of all, I just needed to know what kind of tradesman or subcontractor to talk to about this. Both contractors we were talking with this summer and are now busy...that is our fault. Both contractors were more than happy to modfyhave an Andersen installer coming out this week.

The only question I had was IF we had to use HD, who could deal with enlarging the two holes and creating two new ones. I realize it is not the simplest thing on earth. I was just not sure WhO to actually contact.

• krycek1984
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks renovator...who do I lookup, what kind of engineer?

• User
    10 years ago

You need to contact a structural engineer. He will inspect the home's support structure and design headers that will allow the loads carried by the wall to be transferred around the spots that you wish to install windows. He will also provide you the necessary documents that will enable you to obtain the needed permits from your codes office that will allow this to happen. Be aware that under new residential building codes, insulation minimums are required, and minimum energy efficiency of windows is also now specified. Once you punch holes in your building envelope, you will most likely be required to satisfy those requirements as you will no longer be grandfathered. It becomes much more complex than you ever suspected, and it wasn't a simple job from the beginning.

Truly, a general contractor would be your best bet for the coordination of all of the needed efforts here. He can have the engineer that he usually uses come in and spec the supports, and he can also work with his usual insulation and windows contractors. And carpetners/masons for the exterior cladding. And drywall contractors for the interior wall repair. And trim carpenters for the window trimming.....etc. Then there is the matter of properly weatherproofing these openings with the correct flashing. That's one of the most important aspects of the job, and once it's covered over with the exterior cladding, it's not obvious if it was done correctly or not---until you start having moisture infiltration issues.

• krycek1984
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks livewire. I actually contacted an Andersen show room today and they referred me to two contractors that do Anderson's. the one that called back so far can do what I need and he has access to the proper people to assess for structural integrity. Thanks for your help everyone!

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Krycek- Do you have any pictures of your remodel? Is this the country home or your city home? I've been out of the loop for quite a while and just wondered what you finally decided to do. Hope things go well with your install :)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Who opened the permit for the bathroom and kitchen remodel or was there even a permit required?

You can typically file a supplemental addition if you have one open already.

A good GC would be able to source everything for you.