Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mestena

Help! Ugly load-bearing beam driving me nuts.

Mestena
9 years ago

We have the UGLIEST load bearing beam in our house, and after 3 years of staring at it, pondering it, and cursing it, I still haven't gotten any closer to a solution. We are working through a total kitchen remodel, and this beam is now standing in the way of our progress. I consulted a couple of contractors, and they both agreed that the beam can't be removed without some pretty serious work on the roof structures, which will cost quite a bit. That kind of thing is outside of our budget right now. So, I am hoping to hear some ideas about how to mask it, or at least make it less of an eyesore. It is awful! On one end, it sits right over the top of our main entry door, so that when you walk in the door, you feel as if you will be cut in half should it fall. On the other end, it stops about 12" into the hallway, on the OUTSIDE of the hallway wall. Oh, and the beam is made of glued-together 1-by strips, with wood glue oozing out between the strips. It is pretty much the nastiest, cheapest, ugliest job a person could do. HELP!!!

In this photo, you can see how the beam is located between the kitchen and the living room area: https://www.facebook.com/photo...4127816&l=cd6003e7ff

And in this photo, you can just barely see how the beam ends in the hallway, if you look at the top of the right-hand wall in the hallway. The beam just sits there, protruding about 12" into the hallway. It is just terrible! https://www.facebook.com/photo...5847859&l=5dff8804e7

What can I do with this?

Comments (12)

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

How about including the photos? Or clickable links. At a minimum, how about links that work?

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Those pictures only just barely show the beam... I think you should just box it in and paint it.

• worthy
    9 years ago

Your pics aren't much help. Instead of boxing the beam, you may be able to do a drop ceiling--that is, bring the ceiling down to entirely conceal the beam. You could place a few halogen potlights in the drop. A lowered entry ceiling opening up to a larger area can be very impressive.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Can we get pictures of the actual beam? Instead of pictures of the kitchen with a teeny glimpse of beam in the corner?

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Neither picture shows enough of the beam to be useful. Back up far enough so you can take a picture of the ENTIRE BEAM.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I have one of those separating my own kitchen/dining area and entryway from the main living area. We wanted to get rid of it, but couldn't do it without a major undertaking, so I just got over it. It's drywalled, painted, and doesn't bother me in the least.

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

After being told that the link in the original post was bad the OP doesn't edit the post??? Postin the correct link doesn't help a person reading the thread for the first time.

sheesh.

• Mestena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good grief, guys. No need to launch an all-out attack! I was away from home, on the job, with a poor internet connection and 3 year old photos. I just wanted to pick some brains while I had some spare time. Which is something I don't have a lot of these days. I'm almost sorry I asked for help here.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"I'm almost sorry I asked for help here."

I don't blame you!!

The pictures aren't that bad ... I can see the beam clearly so I don't understand the problem with them. I posted my example because with the beam drywalled and painted the same color as the walls, it doesn't stand out much and isn't as much of an issue as I feared it would be. It's not what I would have wanted in an ideal world, but it's not horrible either.

This post was edited by jellytoast on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 14:50

• hippy
    9 years ago

A lot can be done.
    First thing I would look into is adding a wall X feet out from existing hallway entrance and the wall showing the base board heater and tie in/add an archway to the beam. It would break up the transition between the kitchen and the other room.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

Either box it in with drywall or with trim 1x's. Easy peasy.