Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Proper extent of Demolition

Posted by bobbie46 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 28, 11 at 18:50

Opinions please. Our framer was to have "demoed" the bathroom and framed walls for the commode and shower as well as the cased opening and door opening. Today, an experienced sheetrock contractor came to give us a bid. He said the sheetrock/plaster should be evenly removed, not partially torn off because if it is irregular, he cannot patch it. Some walls are ok but some are pretty ragged. Additionally, one room has wood sheathing. This wood sheathing has numerous nail heads sticking out and he says these must be removed. The framer originally stated no pay was expected until all work was complete. We paid him just before the 4 July weekend and did not see him for 5 weeks. He wants full pay now but the job is not finished. I think there are about two or three days of work remaining but don't know if it is reasonable to press him to remove the ragged sheetrock and remove the nails. Thanks to all who weigh in.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Proper extent of Demolition

He wants full pay now but the job is not finished.

What more is there to say? If he doesn't want to finish the job as agreed, let the drywallers do it and deduct their charges from what you owe the framer/demolisher. It's his choice. Be sure to take pictures of the remaining work. BTW, removing some nails from one small room hardly sounds like a three day job.

Good luck!

o

Worthy, thank you for your input. The room with the nails is large, 18x22 but the nails are random, maybe 18" apart. There are other things to finish as well which are clearly part of his contract. I think he is in a bind financially and is difficult as a result. Thank you for the recommendation regarding pictures. I took some and will take more. I also wrote him a FAX tonight and hope he will give some thought to my suggestions. Thanks again for your reply. It is difficult to sit with this by myself.

o

"Additionally, one room has wood sheathing. This wood sheathing has numerous nail heads sticking out and he says these must be removed."

If you are going to cover the wood up, driving them in is liable to be a lot faster.

o

Thank you brickeyee. You are absolutely correct. That is exactly what he did. Thank you for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here