Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raised Glass Kitchen Counter - Tempered or Regular?1/2' or 3/4?

Posted by renos (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 31, 10 at 18:23

I want to install a floating glass bar counter in my kitchen glued onto stainless steel cantilevered supports coming out from the granite counter top (supports drilled into granite). The glass will be about 6.5 ft long and 12" wide with a spread between posts of about 22" (6" overhang on either end as recommended by the glass company). The glass company is suggesting I use 1/2" annealed (regular) glass as opposed to the tempered glass since they say it will be stronger and resist chips better. I am concerned about safety if it should break. Can anyone recommend with is best in this application tempered or annealed and if " is thick enough or if youd suggest 3/4". Also does anyone know the right glue to use to glue the glass to the stainless posts? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raised Glass Kitchen Counter - Tempered or Regular?1/2' or 3/

Hi renos,

First thing, the glass company is wrong if they are saying that you should use annealed glass versus tempered because annealed is stronger. Annealed glass is not stronger than tempered, in fact glass is tempered specifically to make it stronger.

Second, annealed glass will not resist chipping easier than tempered glass will, but if annealed glass does chip then you end up with a piece of glass with a chip in it. Whereas if tempered glass chips you end up with an amazing number of little tiny pieces of glass all over the place. And while they aren't particularly sharp, your shelf will be gone and you will have a mess to clean up.

Whether to use 3/4" or 1/2" is as much an aesthetic question as it is a strength question. Will 3/4" look " too heavy" in that application? Will 1/2" look "too light"?

From the safety aspect, the 3/4" will be stronger than 1/2", but really as you want to use it, using resonable precautions when around the shelf should make the difference negligble.

You might try using a neutral cure, clear adhesive silicone to attach the glass to the stainless steel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here