Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Split Foyer Nightmare...HELP!

Posted by NPhoenixB (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 18:14

Hi everyone! My husband and I just purchased our first home which is a 1979 split foyer. We're working on fixing up the interior of the home, but being that fall is coming and I'm looking forward to the cooler temperatures, I wanted to work on the outside of the house. We're planning on putting up beige colored siding and replacing those ugly brown shutters with hunter green ones, and we're in the process of purchasing new windows as well. The only thing I'm lost on is what on earth I'm going to be able to do with those posts! We had a contractor come out and he told us that they're not structural. I took apart the bottom of one and sure enough, there was nothing inside, and all three posts swing freely back and forth.
I really want to be able to take them down because the one in the middle sits right in front of the living room window and looks really awkward. The only issue is, if I go and put up new columns, would one on either end of the overhang look odd? If it were up to me, I'd remove the overhang completely, but that's some major work we're talking about, and my pockets aren't overflowing, so to speak. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Split Foyer Nightmare...HELP!

I'd be tempted to remove the center post or move it over closer to frame the door. Then add a sidewalk or pavers to make a pathway that looks inviting to the front door. That would be a quick and inexpensive fix.

I don't think you'd want to remove all the posts or it would look like the roof had too little support.

o

I think I'd just take out that middle post!

o

I like framing the door with them, that image looks good. I would be tempted to make them bigger if I was gong to keep them, somehow they look a bit thin for their height. But, if you don't want them long term then don't invest in thicker (likely fiberglass) versions.

o

I also like Hilltop's door-framing idea. And paint them to match the shutters.

They do look extra tall and thin but maybe the angle of the photo (from the bottom of the hill) accentuates that.

On the bright side, that's a long way from a nightmare! It's not a bad looker at least. Enjoy it!

o

Thanks for all the input! The posts are actually very thin for their height. At first, I wanted to put in a craftsman style front door with sidelights, but if the posts frame the door, then the sidelights would be hidden. I think I'll just buy thicker posts that have a mission style to them and frame the door, and then put the last one at the other end of the overhang.
It was really funny because when my husband and I were looking to purchase a house, we had looked through so many and turned most of them down because of either the size or the location. When I saw this one, I figured a little paint, new siding, and new windows would do the trick along with some landscaping. The outside is nothing compared to the inside! It's like taking a trip into That 70's Show. But owning your own home wouldn't be half the fun without having to fix it up!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here