Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nphoenixb

Split Foyer Nightmare...HELP!

NPhoenixB
11 years ago

Hi everyone! My husband and I just purchased our first home which is a 1979 split foyer. We're working on fixing up the interior of the home, but being that fall is coming and I'm looking forward to the cooler temperatures, I wanted to work on the outside of the house. We're planning on putting up beige colored siding and replacing those ugly brown shutters with hunter green ones, and we're in the process of purchasing new windows as well. The only thing I'm lost on is what on earth I'm going to be able to do with those posts! We had a contractor come out and he told us that they're not structural. I took apart the bottom of one and sure enough, there was nothing inside, and all three posts swing freely back and forth.

I really want to be able to take them down because the one in the middle sits right in front of the living room window and looks really awkward. The only issue is, if I go and put up new columns, would one on either end of the overhang look odd? If it were up to me, I'd remove the overhang completely, but that's some major work we're talking about, and my pockets aren't overflowing, so to speak. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments (5)