Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Square KEYED Entry Door Knob?

Posted by jodied (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 6, 10 at 17:06

Just closed on a mid-century modern house. I'm changing out the hardware on the entry doors, and would love to find a square knob--needs to be keyed. It goes with other elements of the house. Is there such an animal?
There was a half circle back plate on the door at one time, which I will somehow replace, so I can't use the one I found that has a vertical plate behind it, the knob not keyed.

Jodie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Square KEYED Entry Door Knob?

Here.

And more rustic and rectangular from Renaissance(scroll to bottom).

o

I'm drooling. Thanks Worthy!
P.S. Know you from reading this site since I have been keeping up on it for a long time. You might find my new house interesting:

Here is a link that might be useful: 1963 Butterfly Roof House

o

Congratulations on your next project!

There seems to be a revival of sorts in mid 20th Century ranchers like yours.

Somewhat odd to me, as my career for the last 20 years has often involved knocking them down to build much larger homes. They are dreadful energy wasters in a cold climate, but perhaps work better in the mid-South US.

I'm sure with your impressive crafts background and endless energy, your new home will end up a work of art too.

You might be interested in Retro Renovation, which has lots of material on '50-'60s homes.

BTW, I think the square void in the fireplace wall was originally for firewood. TVs of that era were bulkier than later models.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here