Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19775954

Insulation between floors...

User
12 years ago

I just moved in to a house built in 1924. We are removing a number of walls and, thus, have exposed a good bit of ceiling. In doing so, we discovered that the second floor has three ceilings... ceiling tile, stapled into 2x4s, that are nailed into drywall, then another layer of 2x4s and another layer of drywall. Above this layer of drywall is a TON of loose insulation.

The original idea was to gingerly pull down all but the top layer of drywall and patch it up. But we've quickly realized that this is going to take just about forever, and it may just make sense to pull the whole thing down and put up new drywall.

There is no insulation at all between the first and second floor. I figure that, originally, the third floor was an unfinished attic, so it needed the insulation. However, there is no door anywhere between the second and third floor, so I'm not sure if the insulation is doing much of anything.

We live in Ithaca, so the winter temperatures sit around 15F/-9.4C as a low and 35F/1.6C as a high for a good three months. That may be a consideration, but like I said, with no door between floors, I don't know if the insulation is going to change anything.

Comments (4)