Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ljdiep0807

painting honey oak cabinets

ljdiep0807
10 years ago

Hi,

I am hoping to paint my honey oak kitchen cabinets, ideally using a very low or 0 VOC paint. Does anyone have experience using Mythic or Yolo Colorhouse for kitchen cabinets? They are both latex paints (100% acrylic), so I'm not sure how they will hold up. I'd GREATLY appreciate any suggestions or insights before tackling this job.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

Try the search feature above, hundreds of answers there

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

1.) Remove the doors.
    2.) Wash all surface to be painted with TSP.
    3.) Lightly sand with 200 grit sandpaper.
    4.) Apply a quality transitional primer.
    5.) Paint.

• Jbrig
    10 years ago

Check out Cabinet Coat paint by Insl-x. Several years ago, I was planning a kitchen remodel, which was to include painting my kitchen cabs--and then our plans changed. There were several posters here who had used it and loved it, including one gentleman who had worked in a paint store. It's now available at Home Depot. I believe Ace-affiliated stores used to carry it, too, not sure if they still do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google site search for Cabinet Coat posts on GardenWeb message boards

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

BM Advance paint is also said to hold up exceptionally (and get nice and hard).
    Here is a blog I read just this AM with it...
    You can find the original blog posts of each step, from this summary blog post.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to paint cabs

• ljdiep0807
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you!
    I haven't found any references for using Mythic Paint on cabinets, but lots for BM Advance and Cabinet Coat.

I'm beginning to think that I will have to give my my idea of using a 0 VOC paint for cabinets.

Thanks again for your feedback!

This post was edited by ljdiep0807 on Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 16:33

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Mythic paint has a great FB page with projects from users. I had not heard of this paint and was curious regarding your comment about experiences in using it. There are links to blogs and many comments about using the paint for furniture, floors, cabinets, etc.

One of them is about an artist who paints murals, these are like the Italian chapels walls/ceilings. Amazing lady to read about.

I added a link to one photo which amazes me, a beautiful staircase. The link goes through a ton of photos and references to projects written up in mags. If they can do this on stairs, one would consider kitchen cabinets to work well. Perhaps find a store that sells the paint and ask in depth questions regarding your project. It appears their dealers are all over the world and US.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stairs

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Mythic paint has a great FB page with projects from users. I had not heard of this paint and was curious regarding your comment about experiences in using it. There are links to blogs and many comments about using the paint for furniture, floors, cabinets, etc.

One of them is about an artist who paints murals, these are like the Italian chapels walls/ceilings. Amazing lady to read about.

I added a link to one photo which amazes me, a beautiful staircase. The link goes through a ton of photos and references to projects written up in mags. If they can do this on stairs, one would consider kitchen cabinets to work well. Perhaps find a store that sells the paint and ask in depth questions regarding your project. It appears their dealers are all over the world and US.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stairs

• homebound
    10 years ago

The latest issue of "The Family Handyman (Oct 2013) has an article on refacing cabinets. Just came in the mail.

• ljdiep0807
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, thank you!!! I hadn't considered checking Facebook for a Mythic page. It's a great link, and I will definitely read through all the posts for more information.

An aside, I did call the company, and a rep recommended using the high gloss for wood cabinetry. Not sure how I feel about that, as I'm not necessarily going for a high gloss look...

In case you're interested, I stumbled upon a brand called Ecos paint--a no VOC paint that is now manufactured in the US (used to be imported from the UK). People seem to prefer Ecos to Mythic in painting cabinetry.

thanks again!

• donnasophia
    10 years ago

Semi gloss is just as easy to wipe clean and doesn't have the distracting shine, looks more professional.

• ljdiep0807
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you!! I appreciate your insight into the shine factor. I hadn't considered high gloss would look less professional. Thanks again!