Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slinkblot

Bathroom remodel problems

slinkblot
11 years ago

We are in the process of remodeling our bathroom. We hired a contractor to do the work and was given "A" ratings. We have never remodeled before, so we really didn't know there would be costs outside the proposal (i.e. materials not accounted for in the bid, dump runs, mistakes made by the contractor that we were responsible for, etc...). The problems really began when he decided to put a slab of hardiback on the freshly hot mopped shower pan area. When he was done working on the "shower tree", he found he couldn't remove the board without ripping up part of the new tar and paper. The repair was going to cost $75 and he said I had to pay for it. I am furious but paid just so he would continue working on the project. He also cut and set floor tile that looked bad (cut wrong) and I said it needed to be redone. After that repair was done, he began working on the shower tile. Unfortunately, MANY of the tiles were either crooked or not flush with with other tiles and the drywall. Also the wall where the fixtures were going was bowed inward (studs not even he said) and the tiles were very uneven. I told him I was not satisfied with the workmanship and wanted it all redone. I could not imagine myself standing in my shower and looking at the poor workmanship everyday. He removed all the tiles and damaged the hardiback board in the process. He was planning on putting the tiles over it! I showed him where the backer board was damaged and he said he would replace it, but it will cost us another hour of labor charges. I said HE was the one who caused all this and I wasn't paying for another one of his mistakes. He gave in, but I can't understand his logic!

The next day, while doing the water valve installation, he cut the hot water supply pipe (copper) back too far (barely extends past the wall now). He thought it was going to hit one of the vanity drawers, but later discovered it wouldn't have! My husband wants that fixed, but the contractor refuses and said it would be fine. My husband said it isn't "FINE" if he has to repair the valve at any point in the future. The contractor just doesn't want to fix anymore of his mistakes on his own dime.

We are not even close to being finished and everyday, we find problems (NOTICEABLE ONES) that need to be fixed. We have not paid him more than he has worked and told him we weren't paying the next installment until the tile is finished, and the last installment will be paid when the job is finished. It should have been completed a week ago!

Is it normal for a contractor to make mistakes like this and expect the homeowner to pay for them? I'm baffled and beyond frustrated! He claimed it was in the contract, but I showed him that it wasn't.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax