Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottmel_gw

Roofer Credentials - Storm Chasers?

scottmel
11 years ago

I don't know what to do. We had a hail storm in our area and roofers went door to door over free evaluations. I knew I had damage b/c I had dings in my siding. they investigated the roof and determined I had roof damage and siding damage and gutter damage.

Claims adjuster came out - he agreed on roof, gutters and 2 sides of siding. Ok so far so good.

Well the local roofers are quoting almost DOUBLE of what the insurance claim check is however the door to door roofers (I call them Storm Chasers) are willing to accept the insurance amount.

I REALLY feel that I would want the roof at least done locally. I am uncomfortable with people who are setting up shop here locally NOW b/c of the storm.

Any thoughts?????

Comments (6)

• danvirsse
    11 years ago

I'd be scared too. How did your insurance company determine the amount of the check? At least in our area, it is customary to get a quote (or two) from local contactors. Then the homeowner and insurance adjuster agree on the amount of the check. Did you go through a similar process?

I'd ask for references from the "Storm Chasers", preferably from both their usual area, and others in your area. You should also request the same info from any local contractor you consider.
    Also, depending on the state or municipality you are located in, you may have a contractor registration. If that is the case, you can usually look online to see if they have had any complaints registered against them.

Good Luck

• User
    11 years ago

Never, never, never, never, NEVER use out of town roofers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Locally, any company doing business in my city has to have a city license. That means company information is on record.
    I had a fellow come to my door asking if he could put a security company sign in my yard---they would even pay me $25 for the privilege. When I asked him for his company license, he made excuses. I refused his pitch---REALLY, I am NOT selling!!!!!!!---and called the police---who arrested him for doing business without a license.

Go back to your insurance company and find out how badly the roof is damaged. Chances are repairing it can wait a bit. The local folks are using the situation to pad their prices. Waiting until the immediate crunch is over will mean much lower prices.

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

tell us how you feel handymac..don't hold back!

I'd steer away from roofers that have not
    been in business for several years in your area.
    too many folks working off the back of their trucks
    take the money and leave you with a leaky roof.

we get those 'storm chasers' here after hurricanes.
    they bring their tree removal cousins with them.

steer clear.

get bids from locals. ask your friends who they have
    used in the past that did a good job. ask at the
    local lumber yard. if a contractor does a good
    job, word gets around. if a contractor does
    a bad job..word also travels.

best of luck.

• scottmel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys. The company in question is SUTHERLANDS Exteriors and they are based out of NC but have a local office in my area for the last 18 months. They seem to bring foreign workers back with them from NC for the different jobs. They are out of PA, OHIo, TX and NC that I know of. Would you say this qualifies as local or not? Yes they have lived here 18 months (salesperson anyway) but crews seem to move where the work takes them. They are willing to aceept whatever my insurance gives me as payment for siding and roof. This makes me nervous. An excelelnt local roofer quoted me high for roof and siding, I THINK my insurance check is half that yet Sutherlands will accept that...Makes me nervous..????

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Are they quoting the same materials between the local roofers and the storm chaser roofers? Maybe your local guys are planning a 40 yr roof and the others aren't--just planning to replace with a matching roof rather than reroof; etc etc.

• kaysd
    11 years ago

I would get 2 or 3 written estimates from reputable local companies, then call the insurance company to notify them that the payment made is not sufficient to cover the repairs. Your insurance company should cover the actual cost of repairs. You do not have to accept the amount they gave you if it is not enough.