Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirdyq_gw

Putting a mudroom in the garage?

kirdyq
11 years ago

Hi everyone, this is my first post on Gardenweb!

We built our home about 3 years ago. I love it, but the one area that I wish were different is our laundry room right off the garage. It is about 8'x8' and it is a great space to do laundry. However, I am dying to have one of those built in locker type systems that seem to be so common in homes nowadays. I wish I would have thought of it before we built! There is a powder room inside of the laundry, and the room, washer/dryer, soaking sink etc are set up in such a way that there really is not room for one.

Our garage, however, is very large, and there would be plenty of space for one of them out there. BUT the downfall of having it in the garage is that it would not be in it's own little self contained room, if you know what I mean. The good news is that we have hot water heat in our garage floor, so there would be no issue with things being freezing in the winter time. My main concern is bugs. Is there anyway from keeping the bugs to a minimum and from getting in our shoes, etc if they are left in the garage? We live in a fairly wooded area on a farm, so it is not uncommon to have wolf spiders and a couple mice.

Does anyone have a mudroom in the garage? Do you like it or not? Do you have any suggestions for my situation? I just can't stand tripping over the shoes and junk while I'm doing laundry anymore!