Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clive1_gw

Please vote on our renovation!

clive1
16 years ago

So myself and a buddy of mine recently did some renovations. Each one of us feel our renovations are superior to the others (naturally).

Here are some shots of the mantles/fireplaces - please let us know which you prefer. I believe the makes are Regency (left) and Towne and Country (right). Do they both look good? Both bad? Why? We await your opinions. :-)

Thanks.

http://img43.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=95775_Fireplace2_122_993lo.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Comments (8)

• lmhall2000
    16 years ago

I like the one on the right with the lady statue...it's really a matter of tastes...I'm more for subtle elegance and I think the one on the left is a bit more pronounced than I would prefer...

Good luck!
    Tara

• clive1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the reply Tara!

I won't reveal which is my house ... yet. The one you picked is not quite finished and thus a little more 'plain' at the moment. The baseboard isn't done, no picture above the fireplace yet and no little nick nacks for the mantle other than the one statue.

The other one has been done for a year or so. So there are plants in the room and candle holders on the fireplace etc.

Cheers. :)

• motherof3
    16 years ago

Another vote for the one on the right. I think its more classic. I like the one on the left, except for the gold screen.

• dianalo
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I like the one on the left. It has character to me. Not loving the brass, but overall, it is the one I would choose. It seems to have some detail to the dark parts when I click on it and it enlarges, that can't be seen well when small (or even when large).
    HTH

• chisue
    16 years ago

Both are very nice, but the left one seems crammed into a space too small for its mass. Odd to see a door and a window 'behind' the fireplace. I prefer an open fire to anything behind glass; the insert takes away from the style of the fireplace. Now, I might feel differently about the classic fireplace on the right if it is in a very casual room. It would still be pretty, but maybe not so appropriate.

• clive1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the votes! Some good observations there Chisue. Most gas fireplaces are behind glass. There are gas logs you can get with an open concept which look good but they are not efficient - you lose more heat than you gain. Depends what you want...

There are natural fireplaces of course for wood burning - they require work and are messy at times - but still great as nothing compares to a crackling wood fire. :)

• MongoCT
    16 years ago

I don't particularly care for the overmantle in the left shot.

Same regarding the entire fireplace surround structure jutting out into the room, right in front of the door, in the left shot.

The one on the right looks fine, though I think hearthstones should either be flush with the floor or raised up several inches. I don't like the toe-stubbing potential of the "slightly raised" hearth in the right picture.

I much prefer the open firebox on the right versus the cheap looking metal front on the left.

Overall, I prefer the one on the right.

Mongo

• clive1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the reply Mongo!

The one on the left has the overmantle as the ceiling is VERY high. It isn't a fair shot as it cuts it off a bit; here is a shot taken with the crown portion.

http://img25.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=84704_higher_122_999lo.JPG

Another shot of the one on the right - the ceiling is shorter - about 8 feet high. Likely a picture will go on the wall or something... this pic shows some texture of the mantle if you zoom in.

http://img170.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=85100_closeup_122_773lo.jpg

Cheers.